Q. After reading about coconut macaroon cookies against diarrhea, I took them for my spastic colon. They worked.

But then I went on vacation and could not find the cookies when I needed them. So I ate two Mounds bars and realized that the coconut was the magic for sure.

Now I just eat a small bowl of unsweetened organic coconut whenever I get an attack of diarrhea. I appreciate all the things I have learned from your columns over the last 20 years.

A. We have heard from a number of people who find unsweetened shredded coconut helpful against chronic or recurrent diarrhea. Thanks for sharing your experience.

1. Rosie

I ate breakfast at a fast food place, an ended up getting diarrhea. I stopped at a health food store and bought a Oskri coconut bar. It was really good, they sold different flavors. My diarrhea stopped right away! They sell different kinds, and they are organic and gluten free.

2. f.

You can eat shredded coconut raw just as a hand food like dried fruits/potato chips. It’s food, not a medicine so eat your fill (you’re not going to overdose on a fruit or veggie!). You can go raw, cook it, can it, freeze it, ferment it, whatever floats your boat.
    The best thing is probably raw coconut (milk and all). They are pricey and a trouble to deal with, though (especially if you dislike the taste, the raw is the pits). Things like coconut cake may not be the best idea as they accompany loads of sugars and fats you don’t need but it is better than other cakes I guess.

3. Alice

I see posts about shredded coconut,…but please . ..How much???? and must it be cooked???
    THANKS

4. ECH

Recently I had a severe bowel inflammation and looked for Archway macaroons, only to find they are no longer in business. I mixed up instant vanilla pudding, and threw in some plain yogurt and coconut
    and have some every day. It works!
    Thanks for the hints about coconut.

5. L.Simmons

Does anyone know if coconut oil capsules work as well as the shredded coconut for diarrhea? I have Crohn’s disease, but don’t care for the taste of coconut. thanks-

6. Ruthee

I had been troubled with diarrhea after eating fruits (on an empty stomach)——-for many, many years. I love fruits of all kinds so eliminating them from my diet was not possible. NO DOCTOR ever offered a solution. BUT, I recently started eating just one or two coconut macaroons after consuming fresh fruit———AND THE PROBLEM HAS STOPPED. I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!! Why don’t doctors know about the use of coconut for diarrhea?

7. D.Gibbs

Do you have any knowledge of how people cope with having their colon removed? This happened to my 38yr.old niece after a C-section in January. Today, they are surgically reattaching the small bit of colon to what’s left of her intestine so she doesn’t have to wear a bag. It sounds like life-long diarrhea is in her future, for life. Are there artificial colons at this point in time? Any positive input would be appreciated. Thanks.

8. joyce l.

I have found great results with your recipe for pumpkin/applesauce muffins controlling IBS. After eating 2 for breakfast the first day I have had no recurrence of IBS symptoms and no long er need medication to control diarrhea and painful cramping.