Q. You recently had an article about treating diaper rash. My granddaughter had a very bad one, and I used an over-the-counter cream called Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. It is not expensive and it works really well.

A. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste contains zinc oxide cream, an established treatment for diaper rash. It provides a barrier to protect the skin from moisture.

The product you used also contains inactive ingredients (castor oil, citric acid, mineral oil, paraffin, Peruvian balsam and petrolatum). Peruvian balsam has antibacterial and antifungal activity, but it can also cause contact dermatitis. Parents should be alert to that possibility if the rash starts to get worse despite using the Butt Paste.

Another reader responded to the idea of using Maalox on diaper rash: “When I was a nurse on a surgical unit, one of our surgeons used this for his patients, especially ostomy patients with angry reddened skin. You boil down the Maalox to form a paste, stirring constantly until it thickens. We applied it with a tongue depressor and put a light dressing over it.”

1. sherry

I’ve been using Boudreaux’s Butt Paste for a rash under both breasts. It’s the only thing I’ve found that will clear up the rash and keep the area dry and free of irritation, especially in humid weather.

2. Carmen

How much of each do you use?

3. Patty

I used cloth diapers for my daughter in the late 70’s. Diaper rash was eliminated by putting a cup of white vinegar in the final rinse. Not sure why it worked but it did.

4. sue

Years ago we used desitin and zinc oxide for baby butts and also corn starch instead of baby powder.

5. daricelynn

Bag Balm, used for cows, also works great for diaper rash. It’s also a wonderful moisturizer for dry, chapped, flaky hands and feet. It can usually be found at feed stores or at Walmart, comes in a green tin and is inexpensive.

6. sheila H.

Re: diaper rash and home remedies; I was going to write that mama used corn starch and Vaseline ((and then scrolled down and saw that Diane A. beat me to it.)) It still worked…. she never used commercial baby powder on either of us; she used cornstarch; good thing, since we have learned a draw back of baby powder was talc (back in those days).
    sheila h.

7. DIANE A

I had 6 children. For diaper rash I made a mixture of corn starch and Vaseline. It worked. In the 60’s we didn’t have OTC fixes like today.