Q. A couple weeks ago, my husband saw his endocrinologist and the doctor ordered a test of his vitamin D level. It was very low, so my husband was put on 2000 units per day.

My husband has been having a lot of pain in his shoulder with a limited range of motion. An orthopedic surgeon told him that he had a tear in his rotator cuff, and that the only option is surgery.

In less than a week and a half on the vitamin D supplement, he has NO pain and FULL range of motion. This is like a miracle! I think we need a second opinion on that surgery.

A. A second opinion might be wise. Rheumatologists have been reporting that vitamin D deficiency can result in significant joint pain, stiffness and fatigue. Correcting the deficiency often cures these problems, although it won’t repair a torn rotator cuff.

In many parts of the U.S., low vitamin D levels are common during the winter because of the lack of sun exposure. It doesn’t take much time in the sun for skin to make vitamin D, but in cold weather that is not practical.

1. Art
    Saratoga New York

I have two torn rotator cuffs. For the past three months I’m taking 25,000 units of Vit. D. I now do not require surgery. I play 18 holes of golf every day and have NO pain at all.

Try it, it works.

2. PW

People who live in the northern areas of the US don’t get any vitamin D from the sun in the dead of winter due to the angle of the sun to the earth’s atmosphere. Going outside in the cold will not result in vitamin D exposure. In the winter months people need to consider supplements.

3. mh

Good article on shoulder problem which was similar to mine. I spent some time in the sun and it immediately felt much better.

4. diane p.

I can’t comment on vit. D, but a personal experience has me wary of orthopedic surgeons. I had a very painful knee, went to a highly recommended orthopedist who told me I had a torn medial menisces. Twice I told him I would like an MRI. His answer was, “I know what’s wrong with you, you don’t need an MRI”, and scheduled the surgery. I stopped in my local market on the way home wearing the long leg brace and was asked what was wrong.
    I told them I was scheduled for surgery in two weeks but really wanted a second opinion. They gave me a recommendation of a Dr. who rarely does surgery. She did an MRI. I did not have a torn medial meniscus! Imagine that. She fixed what was really wrong using conservative methods. I asked her what would have happened had I had the arthroscopy. Her reply, “You would have been worse of than you were!”

5. SLG

I have experienced the same pain relief from Vit. D. Once I began taking it, all my aches and pains went away. If I forget to take it for even one day, I wake up with arthritic-like pain again in all my joints. I’ve also lost weight since beginning Vit. D.

6. Iggy D.

My loved one was diagnosed with cancer of the female organs. Her vit D blood level was very low. Before surgery her CA125 was over 1,400. After surgery, six chemo infusions, supplementation with IP6, vitamin E succinate, garlic, and ginger plus several weeks of 50,000iu/day D3, her CA125 was down to a normal 10.6.