Q. One of your readers asked for advice regarding constipation caused by Fosamax and Lipitor. I was surprised you did not mention taking Metamucil to help with constipation.

I have had to follow that regimen for over 30 years, taking 3 teaspoonsful daily. Please pass this information on.

A. Psyllium, the active ingredient in Metamucil and similar products, works well to counteract constipation. It can also help lower cholesterol.

Psyllium must not be taken at the same time as Fosamax or Lipitor, however. It might interfere with the absorption and thus the effectiveness of these drugs.

1. PD

Is it OK to take lipitor in the AM and metamucil at night?

2. Richard

I have been taking Rx Protonex 40mg once a day for over 5 years. And, if I ever missed a dose I would have a serious flair up within hours. I have not taken the Protonex now for over a week and I have not had a serious flair up since. If I feel a slight discomfort after I eat I just take one or two Maalox chewables and I am fine. No more waking up in the middle of the night with that acid burning feeling in my throat. Lately (about 3 weeks) I have been taking 3 capsules of Psyllium Husk with Acidophilus daily with 24 oz. of water and I have not had a serious flair up since. Does anyone know if the Psyllium is credited for this??
    Richard

3. Eileen

I suffer from IBS with occasional constipation so if nothing’s happened in a couple of days I find a glass of ice water first thing in the morning, before coffee or breakfast works every time.

4. donna

Fruits and veggies are still your best bet if you want to be regular. I use fentanyl which is very constipating but one strong cup of coffee in the morning usually does the trick for me.

5. Stan

God Bless Psyllium powder, I have been using it for
    over 10 years, a teaspoon in my orange juice first thing
    in the morning. I also have Fiber One cereal almost daily, and thanks to Joe and Teresa’s columns, when I have a problem, Prunes, Apple Sauce,and Bran
    cereal, at breakfast.

6. R Hatcher

A glass of room temperature (tap) water first thing in the morning (before coffee, food, etc,) has solved my constipation problems. This requires no drugs and no cost.