Q. Every winter, my wife and I are bedeviled by split skin on the tips of our fingers–tiny cuts that are painful. Can you give us suggestions for not getting them?

A. Split fingertips are common. If regular moisturizing is not enough, apply Vicks VapoRub  or Aquaphor before bed and wear cotton photographer’s gloves to protect the sheets. Liquid bandage on the cuts may help them heal faster.

1. Jeff T

I have been dealing with split finger tips for many Winters. I tried many remedies but best relief is weeks vacaction in Florida. Within a week, all cuts are completely healed and fingers feel great.

2. Mp

Hi jm.
    What anti-fungal medication worked please.
    Mp

3. JSM

I work outside during all the seasons. During the winter months my fingertips crack leaving a split/gap that is 10x more painful than a deep papercut. I need the use of my fingers immediately so I use super glue. This brings instant relief and heals the split quickly.

4. RJ Teich

I thought I read about these tiny cuts in a recent (2011) column. What struck me was ibuprofen was mentioned. Well, I had switched from acetaminophen to ibuprofen (believing the Advil commercials where you only needed to take two pills or less dosage), and I too had been waking up with painful paper type cuts.
    As soon as I switched back, I no longer have these cuts. And it’s not because it’s winter and/or my hands are dry, because I use Vaseline healthy hand & nail conditioning hand lotion a lot through out the year. So, for me for some reason, ibuprofen was causing paper cuts.

5. CMR

The best relief for cracked skin is crazy glue! They use it in hospitals on kids who have the need for stitches but can’t get the area stitched. I paint it on and get instant relief from the throbbing pain.
    Hope this helps!
    CMR

6. Lori

The skin around my nails becomes dry and rough, and within a few days the skin will crack open. I’ve found that using a nail file to smooth away the rough skin helps to avoid the cracking, but if the cracks still appear I put on a dab of Polysporin and a bandaid at night, the crack usually heals within a day or two.