Q. Add me to the list of people who have been helped by
Certo mixed with grape juice for
arthritis. (Actually, I use generic plant pectin.)

For years I controlled my high cholesterol by
watching my diet and exercising. I love to run and
I would run even if it were not for the cholesterol.

Several years ago I developed a problem with my knee. X-rays revealed arthritis in both
knees.
I gradually started back running but the
arthritis bothered me in the morning when I went down
 to the kitchen to fetch morning coffee. This was quite painful and
I had to use the handrail. The way up was even worse
because I had my hands full with coffee cups.

I contemplated how much longer I would be able to run and even if we would
have to move to a single-level dwelling because of the pain. I avoid
long-term use of drugs of any kind,
choosing instead to change my lifestyle and habits.

When I heard about the grape juice/pectin recipe I tried it. Within a couple of weeks there was improvement and after taking a daily dose
for months now, the morning joint pain is gone.
Instead of contemplating a wheel chair, I’m contemplating my next run. (I also take fish oil to reduce inflammation.)

A. We have heard from other runners as well as arthritic grandmothers that the combination of plant pectin (found in Certo) and purple grape juice can ease joint pain. There is some research suggesting that Concord grape juice has anti-inflammatory properties (Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, Nov. 2004).
We discuss this and many other inexpensive, non-drug remedies for joint pain in our book, Best Choices From The People’s Pharmacy.

1. arnsh

When should one take the Certo/Fruit Pectin? How much should one take?

2. BEN

I have been using pectin for arthritis and it has not worked. I am very skeptical of the sources for many of these claims as they almost all talk about a specific brand name, and not Pectin in general, after all that is what Certo is.

3. PC

I have had increasing joint pains over the past six months. I am sure that at least one of those pains in one finger is arthritic. The others I wonder if they may be the result of being on a strict colitis diet (which in reality is very poor nutritionally).
    Since I can not have sugary liquids, any suggestions for other methods of mixing the Certo?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: AT LEAST ONE READER REPORTS THAT HIS RESULTS WITH “LIGHT” GRAPE JUICE AND CERTO WERE THE SAME AS WITH REGULAR GRAPE JUICE. IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A LOW-SUGAR JUICE, YOU COULD TRY IT. OTHERWISE, TRY SOMETHING LIKE COLD GREEN TEA.

4. PC

I can not take grape juice or many other juices for that matter because I have to be off sugar. I have had increasing joint pains over the past six months. Any suggestions for other methods of mixing the Certo?

5. DAZ

I have been using Certo in cranberry juice for about 40 days. My chronic knee “grinding” stopped after the 4th day of use and I have not stopped taking it since. Extra benefit is finger nail growth and thickness. Has anyone tried Sure Jell in place of Certo? Just curious.

6. Kim

I have 3 people in my family that swear by this and I started 2 days ago myself. It’s been helping them for years!

7. jhs

I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the third joint of my right hand. It was incredibly painful, especially in the morning and I couldn’t even make a fist with my hand. I was told to use OTC pain relief and heat but remembered reading an article about Certo and grape juice a long time ago and decided to give it a try. I used a low calorie grape juice with one tablespoon of certo once a day. Within a week the pain went from a 9-10 to a 1-2. I’m sold!

8. E.R.

Grape Juice helps thumb-joint arthritis: I started drinking a good deal of frozen Concord grape juice because it was delicious. Then I froze the juice in an ice cube tray, and these treats are addictive & tasty… I can go thru most of a tray in one day. AND NOW… my officially-diagnosed thumb joint arthritis pain is all but gone. (NB: I have NOT used Certo or plant pectin.)

9. Madeline

I’ve been taking grapejuice & Certo for about 4 months now. I have arthritis in an ankle I broke about 4 years ago. I was taking prescription strength Ibuprofen almost every day and had much discomfort when I walked for exercise. I rarely, if ever take Ibuprofen now, and the pain is very minor.
    I mix 1 Tbs Certo w/ 8 oz grapejuice and take in the morning.

10. Karen E.

I heard about the Certo-grape juice mixture for relief of joint pain when a caller phoned in about 2 weeks ago. My left hip down to my knee left me in excruciating pain. After sipping the grape-juice mixture for about 4 days, my pain almost disappeared. After two more days, I was ready to work out again. When I forget to take it for a few days, it starts to hurt again, but within 24 hours after drinking the grape-juice, I’m good as new.
    Thanks so much for the tip.
    PS The gin-soaked raisins didn’t work for me.
    Karen

11. VK

I am wondering if Certo is okay mixed with orange juice instead of grape juice. Also, is there any type of interaction with other meds when using this?
    Thanks.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE DON’T KNOW OF ANY INTERACTIONS. DON’T TAKE IT AT THE SAME TIME AS A MEDICINE TO BE TAKEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH. WE DON’T KNOW IF CERTO AND ORANGE JUICE WILL HELP; PLEASE LET US KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.

12. rwm

Generic pectin can be purchased in any good grocery store…usually found alongside the brand name pectins.

13. Margaret K.

What is Colisted – mentioned just above this – also if the Certo is outdated is it OK to still use it this way? MBK
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: COLESTID IS A CHOLESTEROL-LOWERING DRUG THAT WORKS DIFFERENTLY FROM STATINS. IT PREVENTS RE-ABSORPTION OF CHOLESTEROL-CONTAINING BILE ACIDS.
    WE DON’T KNOW ABOUT OUTDATED CERTO, BUT WOULD NOT ENCOURAGE ITS USE.

14. nh

I ask also:
    Where do you buy generic
    plant pectin? Need cost break. thanks
    nh

15. caryl

I take Colisted each morning to control chronic diarrhea. It also controls my cholesterol. I take it in juice, usually cranberry/pomegranate. Can I safely add pectin to this mixture? I have broken ankles an at 71 find it painful to change heel height. I think it is arthritis. I think I have celiac to but the MD says no. I am on a high protein diet at present and feel better off white stuff. Thanks

16. Tigger

Does it have to be grape juice to get the benefits? The tannins in grape juice trigger my migraines, but I can drink other juices okay. I was just diagnosed with the beginning of arthritis in both knees, and I was thinking about trying this instead of taking meds.

17. MMH

Certo and grape juice seem to be very effective for me, for controlling arthritis pain: just a heaping teaspoon of Certo and 4-6 oz of grape juice before dinner. Where do you buy generic plant pectin, which I presume would be less expensive than the Certo!?

18. P.F.

In reference to the Grape juice pectin remedy, what are the exact amounts that you should mix?