Q. A few weeks ago I heard Listerine mentioned for jock itch. I didn’t have jock itch, but I was suffering from a very persistent case of athlete's foot. I had used several over-the-counter medications for weeks with no results. I daubed Listerine on my feet for three consecutive days and the symptoms were all but gone.

I have since used Listerine on my feet once a week and have had no recurrence of athlete's foot. Maybe it is just the alcohol content in the product but whatever the active ingredient is, it works!

A. Listerine seems to be helpful against a range of common fungal skin infections, including dandruff as well as jock itch and athlete’s foot. We suspect that the antifungal activity of the herbal oils in Listerine (menthol, eucalyptol, thymol and methyl salicylate) may be responsible. The alcohol may also discourage fungal growth.

1. GW

Wow, Listerine really does work. I’ve soaked my toes in it for 15 minutes and athlete’s foot seems to be going away quickly.

2. AF

can listerine also be used for the rash that results from skin yeast infection (candida)?

3. Jesse G.

My Grandfather was an old time Druggist in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, I always remember he had a bottle of Listerine as a cure all for most everything.The bottle was glass and had a cork in its top! He had us use it for sore throats, jock itch, dandruff,athletes foot and at 70 years young plus I still use it.

4. RC

Just used listerine tonight on a cotton pad and left it between my toes for 30 mins or so… That was a few hours ago and still have no pain. I don’t think it is quite fixed yet but this stuff really works! :)

5. patricia

Several senior citizen friends have specifically mentioned that only YELLOW Listerine seems to work best.

6. E.E.C.

I have used various products for jock itch and finally found the perfect one. It is zinc oxide – a baby cream for diaper rash and skin irritations. A Doctor in Canada suggested it . Hope this information is helpful.