Q. Someone wrote to you about using zinc oxide as a deodorant. I tried it but it didn't work for me.

At the same time my hemorrhoids were burning and itching, and even Preparation H didn't seem to help. Since zinc oxide is used in diaper cream, I thought why not give it a try?

From the first time I used it I have not had any recurrence of the symptoms. At first I applied it every night but now I only use it once a week or less.

A. The person who wrote to us found that zinc oxide cream (commonly used for diaper rash or sunburn protection) was effective as an underarm deodorant. Your experience shows that it may not work for everyone to control body odor.

We could find only one reference to the use of zinc oxide for the itching and burning of hemorrhoids. A German salve (Mirfulan) that contains zinc oxide plus witch hazel, urea and vitamins A and D was reported helpful many years ago (ZFA Stuttgart, Oct. 20, 1979).

1. Mark

Zinc oxide is very soothing, I mix a drop of tea tree oil with for extra healing.

2. tdidymas

I have a health book that recommended zinc oxide for hemorrhoids, and started using it years ago after each bath. Since, I have had no trouble with it. Even after a bout of bad diarrhea and bleeding, using the zinc oxide caused complete healing in 2 days.

3. S.B.

I had a hemorrhoid for many years and put off surgery as I hoped it would heal naturally. Then I started taking a few grams of vitamin C a day, as ascorbic acid and potassium ascorbate, and to my amazement, the hemorrhoid started getting smaller and smaller. After three weeks, it shrank down to nothing and was gone.

4. CC

Please be advised that what seems like a hemorrhoids can also be anal cancer, which is on the rise due to a virus called HPV. Please have your hemorrhoids checked out by a doctor and mention that you want to rule out cancer. I am being treated for anal cancer now and it is no picnic.

5. jacki

a product from israel called lavilin is wonderful for underarm deodorant & its main ingrediant is zinc oxide

6. Ruth

I sometimes have severe constipation that leads to hemorrhoids, pain and bleeding. I have made a poultice of Gold Bond, Prep H cream, and A&D w Zinc Oxide cream on a piece of gauze and left it there for a while. It really helped ease the pain and swelling. I had no precedent for this idea but was desperate for relief. Good Luck