Q. I've been using a lot of cinnamon for the taste on my morning granola and yogurt. My hot flashes have ceased and my cholesterol is down. Unfortunately, my liver enzymes are elevated. I was told to cut out alcohol and Tylenol.

Since I don’t drink much alcohol and never take Tylenol, the cinnamon might be the culprit. I'm cutting that out, too. If I’m lucky, the hot flashes won't return.

A. Another reader recently reported that cinnamon helped ease her hot flashes. There is no published research to support this claim, but cinnamon has been used in Japan and China for this purpose.

We are sorry that this spice may have affected your liver. Some cinnamon contains coumarin, which can be toxic to the liver.

We usually suggest that someone who is taking cinnamon for medicinal effects (such as lowering cholesterol) use a water-soluble extract such as Cinnulin PF. Coumarin is not water-soluble and won’t be found in such an extract.

1. R.M.

There are two types of cinnamon; Ceylon cinnamon and casssia cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon has 0.5% coumarin and 0.0004% coumarin in Ceylon cinnamon. Please visit the website (www.ceyloncinnamon.ca) for more details.

2. Ravindra

Hi,
    My mother is having a problem of back-bending, I heard that “CINNAMON” will helpful for such problems. Kindly can any body suggest regarding this problem please..

3. Loveneesh

We have one arthritis lady patient and she is having liver and kidney weakness problem too due to some ayurvedic treatment and now we are giving to her mixture of cinnamon and honey with warm water. But in some more site we found that cinnamon is not good so could you please suggest to us what to do.
    We would be very thankful to you
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: SINCE THE CINNAMON IS IN WARM WATER, PERHAPS YOU COULD AVOID THE POSSIBLE LIVER TOXICITY OF HIGH-DOSE CINNAMON BY EXTRACTING IT BEFORE ADDING THE HONEY. POUR HOT WATER OVER THE CINNAMON DOSE IN A PAPER FILTER. IF ONLY THE CINNAMON-FLAVORED WATER GOES THROUGH THE FILTER, THE PERSON SHOULD GET THE BENEFIT WITHOUT THE RISK.

4. Mark H.

Yes, it is extremely effective at controlling blood sugar. My wife’s A1C dropped from 6.1 to 5.8. My A1C dropped from 6.6 to 6.2. So, I can speak from personal experience that it DOES IN FACT work. The only negative’s to cinnamon that I am aware of is that some people might have an allergic reaction to it ( But then again there’s no substance on the face of this planet that you won’t find someone who is allergic to it ). The other caution is that you should not take cinnamon if you are on some type of blood thinner. It could cause excessive bleeding in the event of an accident.
    I have been able to completely stop taking metformin and this has helped my kidneys enormously.
    Hope this helps.

5. Margo

I have been using cinnamon for years and it has lowered my cholesterol, but now the doctor tells me I have a fatty liver, is this damage from the cinnamon?

6. G W

I read that cinnamon is also good for reducing sugar levels. Has anyone else heard that?