Q. I read in your column that someone used “Certo” in juice to relieve painful arthritis in the hands. Is this the pectin with which one makes jelly? I did buy some and started putting a tablespoon in 8 ounces of pomegranate juice, as I have horrendous arthritis in my hands.

A. Certo is in fact a liquid pectin product used by home canners to make jams and jellies thicker. Readers have told us for ten years that Certo mixed with grape juice can help ease arthritis pain. More recently someone suggested substituting pomegranate juice.

Here is a testimonial: “I read about grape juice and Certo last fall while I was suffering a painful medial column collapse of the right foot that the doctor attributed to psoriatic arthritis. I was going to have surgery in late November, but tried the juice with Certo in October. I didn’t tell the doctor, as I didn’t want to be admonished.

“For some mysterious reason, the pain started subsiding, then went away. The doctor was amazed but said surgery should only be done as a last resort. I see him next month for a checkup and will mention the juice with Certo.

“I’m not saying that’s what put the arthritis in remission, but something happened, as I could hardly walk at the time. So I’ll continue taking it.”
We include recipes for grape juice with Certo, gin-soaked raisins and the Sam Houston arthritis drink in our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis.

1. Ek

After reading all this and being advised by colleagues, I am desperate to try it.
    From last 7 months I have this weird Dizziness it’s more like left to right or
    back and forth rather than spinning. Been to doctors, got my Ct scan, MRI,
    X Rays done but nothing came up. So Certo is my last hope I hope this work. I do have rheumatoid arthritis.

2. JJ

I am just hearing about this remedy, and have not had a chance to try it. However, my sister has found it helpful and recommended it to my Aunt. My aunt’s husband has been taking it for years because of a colon resection. They removed the section that draws water from waste, and he was told to drink it to prevent dehydration and diarrhea.
    It is evidently a common anti-diaretic in some eastern bloc countries… Perhaps you are not getting enough fluids, and the Certa is retaining more. Try upping your water intake?

3. MJK

What is the ratio of liquid Certo to grape juice for arthritis and how often should you take it?

4. Darrell L.

I found Certo at Walmart in the baking products.

5. CVA

I’d like to try and clear up some of these recurring questions about Certo. It works fine just by itself. A tablespoon twice a day (morning and evening) is the dose. It is a food used for thickening pies and jellies and should not interact with medications. It is swallowed, not rubbed on. It does not taste bad but can be masked by mixing it with juice. The type of juice shouldn’t matter, however there may be a certain juice that does, in its own way, help alleviate arthritic symptoms. I’ve heard a lot of people say that dark grape juice is best. Once opened, the packet sits upright in a coffee cup and is kept refrigerated. I was told to take it twice a day for thirty days, which I did. The tendonitis in my elbows went away and have not returned (15 years).

6. CVA

Two old carpenters recommended Certo to me for relief of Tendonitis about 15 years ago. The dose was one tablespoon A.M. and P.M. The Tendonitis went away and has not returned. I am now suffering from arthritis in my left knee and have just started the Certo treatment again. I don’t think that juice does anything more than help wash the Certo down, but I’m going to start by trying it with 100% dark grape juice. I’ll report back with results.

7. Denise

Hi,
    You say this treatment is for arthritis, but I have found it worked wonders for my backache and wanted to share this with you, I had been in agony for weeks, with in two days of taking certo in juice I noticed a big difference I now take it in freshly made juice and I can honestly say my backache as gone away. Denise

8. dab

How many calories are in the various types of Pectin–either powered or liquid?
    I had been using liquid pectin, any brand, with grape juice for several years. Usually I mixed one packet of the gel with 46 oz. of liquid. (I liked to buy the frozen concentrate juice.) I drank 8 oz over the period of an hour or two. It seemed to help with some of the pain from arthritis and fibromyalga. It also remediated my constipation problem.
    I haven’t used it in the past year because of the high calorie/sugar in the grape juice. My BMI has gone from 38 to 30 with a low calorie and low sugar/refined carb diet and the loss of 40 pounds.

9. meme

I was in an accident 10 years ago and have had severe back, shoulder, hip and knee pain ever since. I’ve been given every medication possible and have had no luck in finding relief. Then I started getting shots in my back and nerve burnings also with no relief. I will try this certo and juice or maybe just water (no added sugar) and see if it helps. Does anyone know of any long term side effects or drug interactions?

10. C. A.

My comment is that I wish that doctors and drug companies do not put out of business Certo, and they still have a benefits giving thousands of medications and surgeries to a patients.

11. LP

I have used Certo for several months and am just about free of any pain. I have used it mixed with a variety of fruit drinks… so I don’t think the type of drink makes a big difference, and I include some aloe juice in the mix, which seems to help my stomach pains. Our Walmart carries Certo, as well as most of the large grocery stores.

12. jt

Ball Liquid Fruit Pectin has the same ingredients as Certo Liquid Fruit Pectin.
    Ball’s Liquid Fruit Pectin: water, fruit pectin, citric acid and lactic acid, potassium citrate and sodium benzoate.

13. Andy

I heard about Certo earlier this year. I had started taking Knox Gelatin late last winter, and I seemed to be helping. I decided to add Certo also, and I think they are really working. I have had two surgeries on on knee, and on surgery on the other. Both were causing me a lot of pain and I had been taking Diclofenac for years to help with the pain.
    It had gotten to the point that the pills weren’t really helping, but when I started the Knox gelatin, I felt less pain, and now with the Certo I am able to take extra strength Tylenol when I over do it, and have gone days with nothing but the Knox gelatin and Certo. It’s really worth trying.

14. Lynne

Can the use of Certo cause problem of itching?

15. Rosie

I am thinking of trying water and lemon juice with certo, as I don’t want all the calories and sugar from the grape juice. If anyone else has tried it let me know. Certo has really helped my hip pain and I don’t want to stop it.

16. clinda

Can other juices or liquids be substituted for grape juice?
    This question has been asked numerous times but, STILL NO ANSWER from People’s Pharmacy. I must limit sugar intake=ZERO…grape juice is extremely high in sugar. Could I use lemon water and Certo?? May we have an answer please? It would be greatly appreciated.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: PEOPLE HAVE REPORTED GOOD RESULTS WITH POMEGRANATE JUICE OR TART CHERRY JUICE AS THE VEHICLE FOR THE CERTO OR POWDERED PECTIN. SINCE THIS IS A HOME REMEDY, WE DO NOT NOT HAVE ANY SCIENTIFIC STUDIES. THE WAY TO FIND OUT IF WATER AND LEMON JUICE WOULD WORK WITH CERTO IS TO TRY IT. IF YOU DO, PLEASE LET US KNOW YOUR RESULTS.

17. PhilBob

In what proportion do you mix the 100% pectin to grape juice?

18. MKP

My mother-in-law is taking blood thinners as well as the Certo regime. Will the Certo counteract with the blood thinners?

19. diane w.

Where can I buy certo?

20. D. T.

Someone has asked this question; but I have not seen your answer posted.
    Can other juices be substituted for grape juice. If so, which ones?

21. PG

I have been using Certo for a month or two and also experiencing severe constipation. Can it be from the Certo?
    Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: PEOPLE’S SYSTEMS RESPOND DIFFERENTLY. IT IS POSSIBLE CERTO CAUSES YOU TROUBLE, THOUGH MOST PEOPLE DON’T SEEM TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM. TRY STOPPING IT AND SEE IF THAT SOLVES THE PROBLEM.

22. SJ

I have stenosis in my spine, degenerative back disease, and arthritis. Some days walking is great for a while. Most days walking and normal activities are quite painful. I am 71 and have a lot of things I want to do before I reach 72. So I will try the certo. I hate the steroid shots and the drugs. Both seem to be short term. I do have a question. Does it have to be grape juice? I have some (not watered down) blue berry and also some cherry juice.
    Well, I will give it a shot and get back to you.
    Thanks for the info.

23. Jim

Through many, many blood tests, and different doctors, I was sent to an Arthritis Clinic about 50 miles away. The diagnosis was quick and clear and, as far as I know, accurate. The diagnosis was “PMR”, short for Poly Myalgia Rheumatica; a very painful disease that is mostly foreign to most people, except for those who have it.
    Very little is know about the disease and where it comes from, or how and why it “leaves” over a period of time in “most” people. The treatment I received was “Prednisone” over a 6 year period of time, but after the first two months was drastically reduced to a very low dosage, and now I am off of it completely, thank goodness!
    The other medication prescribed, was the one you mentioned; “METHOTREXATE”. Needless to say, it helped with the pain, but my hair began to fall out in large amounts ! I told the Dr., “I’ll deal with the pain; I want my hair as long as I can have it”. So, be aware of drugs, or “beware” of drugs that have side effects.
    I’m maintaining now days with an occasional dose of Ibuprofen, but I will be trying the “Certo” treatment soon. For those who either gradually start having joint pains, or, as it was in MY case, a very quick “OVER NIGHT” event, PMR can come on you either way. Thanks for this site, and means of sharing information. God Bless You All !

24. Gail

Pomona’s Universal Pectin can be used as well and contains 100% pure citrus pectin with no additives, preservatives, sugar, or dextrose.

25. Jane

I have been taking 1/4 cup of cherry juice with a few tsp. of Certo for only 3 days now, and what a difference! I have arthritis in my knees and I am walking down the stairs with no pain!

26. AD

If you are not having relief with the 1Tbsp. to 1cup dosage per day can you take it twice a day to see if that helps, or what would you recommend?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: YOU COULD TAKE IT TWICE A DAY, OR TRY A DIFFERENT REMEDY.

27. Charles R.

I am eager to try this. What is the ratio of certo to grape juice are most commonly used and what is the usual dosage.
    Thanks,
    C Roberts

28. Charlie

I would like to try Certo and Grape juice for my arthritis but know nothing about it. Do you drink this? or mix it and rub it in? What is the formula to mix? And where can I buy it? Thanks Charlie

29. CS

Please tell me how much sodium is in a tablespoon of Cert-O. I want to recommend grape juice and Cert-O to a friend who has high blood pressure for her arthritis.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THERE IS A TINY AMOUNT OF SODIUM IN THE SODIUM BENZOATE, ADDED AS A PRESERVATIVE.

30. Eli

Where can I buy Certo? Walgreens didn’t know what it was and thought it was a spanish medicine.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: IT IS PLANT PECTIN FOR HOME CANNING. LOOK FOR IT AT THE SUPERMARKET.