Q. I've been suffering with a constant swollen sore throat due to acid reflux. I've been on several different acid-suppressing drugs that worked temporarily and then stopped working.

Today I tried ginger candy to soothe my throat and it's working. Have you heard of ginger helping with reflux symptoms?

A. Ginger has a long-standing reputation for soothing stomach disorders. Chinese sailors have used it for motion sickness for at least a thousand years, and many readers have found it helpful for upset stomach. Several years ago, we heard from a reader who discovered a cinnamon-ginger drink helped her heartburn: “My reflux became really bad when I stopped hormone replacement therapy. Acid suppressing drugs worked great, but after two months I couldn't stop them without the heartburn recurring.

“One night, I took colleagues to dinner at a Korean restaurant. Someone ordered Persimmon Punch, a concentrated cinnamon-ginger drink, for dessert. A few sips later, I felt fantastic. After a month of adding 3 tablespoons of the cinnamon-ginger drink to my tea morning and night, my heartburn was in control.”

1. SA

You don’t need anything fancy. Just put about a quarter tsp. of ground ginger in a cup of tea or hot water and drink. You can also cut up some ginger root and use it the same way. I have microscopic colitis, and it brings relief!

2. KF

I am 48 yrs old female, going through perimenopause. I have been going through trial and error and this is what worked for me. The crystallized ginger works, somewhat, but, what I have figured out through reading and reading on internet is progesterone declines more rapidly than estrogen. I was using Emerita progesterone cream, but figured out I needed more, plus found out I was vitamin D deficient, so I started using vitamin D3 1000 IU and am trying to work up to 2000.
    When I started using more progesterone cream acid reflux and burping ceased. You will need to experiment and see what works for you. I am using roughly 1 tsp of progesterone cream divided dose 3 times a day for 21 days a month. Feel calmer, more energy, no more brain fog, bowels working, no more pain and tension in muscles.
    Also for those women who are already into menopause you might find relief from flax seed oil, it is packed full of phytoestrogens…see whole foods sight for that nutritional info. This did not work for me, made me extremely agitated, constipated, and gained weight rapidly, so I am staying away from that for now, when and if I start having hot flashes, I will try it again. You can usually find crystallized ginger in a grocery store that has a bulk section. WORD OF CAUTION FOR GINGER USERS: GINGER IS A BLOOD THINNER, SO BE CAREFUL. Hope this helps someone.

3. mm

I’m a 67 yr old woman. I’ve had indigestion for the past 35 years. Four weeks ago I had a gastroscope (EGD). I have multiple stomach ulcers and inflammation, also two esophagus ulcers. Biopsies are benign. I was put on 40mg Zegerid daily. I’ve followed instructions carefully. About four days into treatment, I felt much better. Now the past three days have been just like prior to the Zegerid. I’m very bloated/distended, sore throat, burning sensation, pain, etc. I’ve taken antacids to no avail.
    I also stopped HRT just prior to the gastroscope.
    I’m having a dilating procedure this Tuesday as swallowing is difficult.
    I picked up a ginger root but don’t know what to do with it. :o(
    Any suggestions?
    mm

4. gel

RAC, what was the name of the supplement that caused acid reflux? Thanks

5. R.A.C

Nature’s Way sells a supplement called Motion Mate which contains ginger and peppermint. I’ve found that to be helpful. They also sell ginger capsules (I’m sure other companies do, too).
    We all need to look closely at the things we are ingesting because they may be causing problems unknowingly. I was taking a supplement for several months and my heartburn symptoms really escalated. I ran out and couldn’t get to the store to buy more for a week and my heartburn really improved. After I started taking the supplement again the heartburn started up.

6. Christal Helman

It is easy to make candy ginger. I make it for my granddaughter for motion sickness. It is tasty. Below is the recipe I used. Good luck
    P.S. fresh ginger root is in the produce section and is not expensive.
    Make Crystallized Ginger Recipe
    [http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/ht/crystalginger.htm]
    By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone
    Crystallized or candied ginger is very easy to make at home with these instructions. Use in desserts and confections.
    Difficulty: Easy
    Time Required: 45 minutes
    Here’s How:
    Peel and thinly slice 1 pound (500 grams) fresh gingerroot.
    Place sliced ginger in a heavy saucepan.
    Cover with water.
    Cook gently until tender, about 30 minutes.
    Drain off water.
    Weigh the cooked ginger and measure an equal amount of sugar.
    Return ginger to saucepan.
    Add sugar and 3 Tablespoons water.
    Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
    Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until almost dry.
    Toss cooled ginger in sugar to coat.
    Store crystallized (candied) ginger in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.
    Tips:
    Crystallized or candied ginger is used in desserts and confections.
    What You Need:
    Fresh ginger
    Knife
    Sugar
    Water
    Heavy saucepan
    Stove
    Sealable glass jar for storage

7. smc

Mike: I was having severe belching problems before the holidays and I was told to try this:
    take 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (I recommend with a little water)
    If the belching is better, then you have LOW stomach acid. Don’t try antacids with low stomach acid, it will only make it worse. The lemon juice works every time for me.

8. BRG

I had been on just about all the antiacid meds and they weren’t working. I read the article about ginger candy and, as my husband likes it, there was some in the house. I tried it and it was as if my stomach were re-booted and functioning regularly. My asthma is also much better. This is the first fall/winter in years that I have not had to use steroids. Thanks.

9. JLM

I have had problems with severe belching for about 10 years sometimes making it difficult to breathe. My doctor says it’s acid reflux but it really doesn’t help much. I have spent entire days belching very loudly. Does anyone know of any relief?

10. Mike

I have a similar story to JM. I had developed terrible pains in the chest and mid left abdomen. I went to the ER also thinking there was something wrong with my heart and passed all of the tests. They gave me a drink mixed with Lidocaine and that made all of the pain go away immediately. They diagnosed me with GERD and a gastric ulcer. I scheduled an appointment with a Gastro doctor to have the GI series tests but it still hasn’t come time (Jan 6th 09, I first went to the ER on Dec 2nd).
    I was given Protonix to turn my acid pump off but I was still in a ton of pain from the ulcer itself. I have done quite a bit of research and for about 3 weeks I have been eating raw ginger root (which I have always found delicious) camomile and licorice tea and cabbage in raw, steamed and soup form and I have been virtually pain free for 2.5 weeks. I did ask for it on Christmas and I had some Lasagna.
    I wouldn’t even consider that pain; it was more like an irritation but in the same area so I suspect it was the ulcer being irritated by acid. After Christmas I went back to my ginger/cabbage/tea supplement and I’ve been pain free since. I can even have a beer (another thing I find delicious)! Initially I had to totally cut alcohol out because it was incredibly painful. After about 1.5 weeks of not having a beer I gave in and had no problem at all. I can’t believe how effective something like ginger, cabbage and tea could be but I’m proof that it works very well.

11. J M

I had acid reflux and thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and was kept overnight with all the tests. Nitro glycrene, etc. In the a.m. they gave me a treadmill test and said nothing is wrong with your heart and tried to put me on anti acid prescription.
    I said no I will take care of it. I stopped at the grocery store and bought a raw ginger root. I peeled it and put some in my blender with water and sipped on it. I also did the same with aloe vera. No more heartburn.

12. Anthea E.

Candied ginger can be purchased at Trader Joe’s. They have several kinds. The ginger slices are especially good, I put it in my tea or eat the slices like candy, and it really helps an upset stomach.

13. CSB

DRS: I HAVE BEEN TOLD TODAY THAT I HAVE ‘BARRETT’S ESOPHAGUS’. I AM NOW FEARFUL OF CANCER. IS THIS WHERE IT EVENTUALLY GOES? I HAD THE SCOPE DONE ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO BUT, I AM UNABLE TO GET TO SEE THE DOCTOR FOR SIX WEEKS. I AM NOW SO WORRIED.
    PLEASE ADVISE, CSB
    People’s Pharmacy Response: Although Barrett’s esophagus does increase the risk of esophageal cancer, most people with Barrett’s do not develop the cancer. Please discuss this issue specifically with the doctor you see.

14. Joe C.

I suffer from many ailments and take over 9 medications daily, I have suffered for years with acid reflux, severe migraines, spinal stenosis, back pain, weakness, dizzy spells, seizures and i take nexium for the gerd, celebrex for the spinal problem and other medications that are for emotional and mental problems brought on by the constant physical problems. I am disabled and can’t work.
    I’m only 53 and wish I could find a remedy for the headaches but nothing works, insurance will not cover the medication that works for clearing out my headaches. I eat healthy as I can and use cinnamon a lot in my bread and in rice.
    I also am trying to find a way to use ginger but i only know bout the spice you buy and it doesn’t seem to help, how to make ginger in cooking, I can’t cook but I have a home health aid who cooks my meals for me each week. thanks for the information. The deal for acid reflux would be great if I could find this candy you mention, by reeds thank you for you site.
    JC

15. FritzM

Where can we find the cinnamon/Ginger powder that was referenced on this article. Also can Garlic thin the blood like aspirin?

16. C.L.P.

Yes I too would love to find a ginger candy or this Persimmon Punch. My husband has been diagnosed with esophagus cancer and has been very ill since the biopys and the ct and pet scan. So ill he has not been able to return to work for the past six weeks. This has been a great hardship for a family of four to be reduced down to one fourth of your regular income. So we could greatly use the information Sincerely C.L.P.

17. jp

If you go to the website for Reeds Ginger Candies, you can either purchase them directly or you can get a list of the stores in your area where they can be found.

18. Evelyn

I went looking for the Persimmon Punch at some health food stores. They had never heard of it. I also asked if they had anything homeopatic with ginger and cinnamon and they didn’t have anything like this. Does anyone know where I can find something like this? Thanks.

19. GW

Where can one purchase ginger candy??
    Thanks! Your new web site format is excellent!!

20. ns

I began to experience acid reflux after ceasing hormone replacement therapy just like the writer, but didn’t realize until now that had anything to do with it. In the past, I have had episodes continuing over a period of days to over a week. Acid suppressors didn’t work for me. Candied ginger worked some of the time, but not consistently.
    The one thing that has worked is losing belly fat through weight loss, so that bending, stooping, sitting do not cause compression in my midsection. If the writer is overweight this might be a more permanent solution.
    On those rare occasions when I feel an episode coming on, I find that by limiting my intake of such things as cooked tomatoes, wine and chocolate for a few days, it doesn’t persist. I recognize I’ll probably have to space out my consumption of those things for the rest of my life, but that’s much more acceptable to me than taking prescription drugs whose long-term effects on my body may not show up for many years.
    My weight loss has resulted in improved health in other ways as well, even though I was at the high end of the healthy body mass index chart before my weight reduction. My blood pressure is now such that my doctor will probably take me off of my BP prescription at my next check up if it is still in the healthy range at that time.