Q. For about 20 years, I had chronic pain from a muscle knotted up in my back. I tried unsuccessfully to address it with adjustments from a chiropractor. A massage therapist recently recommended applying castor oil, covering the area with felt and then putting on a heating pad. It has taken three treatments, but the results are dramatic.

A. Castor oil applied topically has been reported to ease bruising. We’re impressed that it relieved your muscle pain.

1. M W

gua sha — it’s scraping of the skin??????

2. Judy

The castor oil with white wool felt and the heating pad is an Edgar Cayce “remedy” that works for a variety of muscular and internal aches and pains. Originally, it was recommended for a poultice for the abdomen… two hours a day for about 3 days, skip a day and resume. He recommended castor oil for many things as a potent natural agent. Aplications are external. I use it with tincture of myrrh and aloe as a massage oil for the back of clients.

3. E.S.

I just have a question regarding this method. Is the felt of importance, or can any material be used, and how often do I do this? The artlicle said 3 treatments — what does that mean?

4. tmf

I have used castor oil (no felt or heating pad) on my aching spots. It helps my arthritis a little (and every little bit helps). My knees started to bother me, and it made them feel great in one day.

5. M. Murphy

I have used a lotion w/caster oil base for muscle pains. It is a commercial product called Castiva, comes in Warming lotion or Cooling lotion. It is distributed by HUMCO Texarkana, TX 75501. It is wonderful and doesn’t have the odor that castor oil has. I purchased it in Walgreens.

6. john c.

I have tried this treatment, and even though it does work, there is nothing that comes even close to gua sha for muscular problems. I am a massage therapist and I have been using gua sha for 9 years. Anything else is a big waste of time and money.