Q. I’ve read your columns about grape juice and Certo for easing joint pain but I don't like grape juice. I tried pomegranate juice with Certo instead. It's much lower in calories and it tastes really good.

After just a couple of days, the results are amazing! I can comfortably make a tight fist now, which means I can look forward to throwing punches in aikido classes again without jamming an arthritic knuckle.

As an EMT, I'm definitely in tune with conventional modern US medicine. From a medical standpoint, this remedy has me stumped, but there is no doubt that it really worked quickly and effectively for me. I don't know if this mixture will affect other drugs or conditions, so others should check with the doctor before trying it.

A. Thanks for sharing your experiment. We have heard from hundreds of readers that Certo and grape juice or gin soaked raisins can ease joint pain. Pomegranate juice itself can ease inflammation and slow cartilage destruction (Journal of Nutrition, Sept. 2005).

Anyone who would like to learn more about juice-based remedies, herbs and other natural approaches may be interested in our Guide to Alternatives for Arthritis.

1. Evelyn

My husband is taking Plavix. He had an Aortic valve replacement with a cow valve. He is interested in taking pomegranate juice, but is it advisable? Will the juice also dilute the blood? You can see our predicament!

2. jj

Mmmmm, a splash of pomegranite juice in sparkling water is my very favorite beverage of all!
    I didn’t know that aikido people punched each other, though. I like Muay Thai, and hitting the heavy bag over the years has made my knuckles kind of gnarly, alright. Don’t know if the pomegranate juice helps that, but it sure tastes good!

3. V.S.

My husband has been using pomegranate juice and pectin for several years. He swears it takes away his joint pain and keeps it at bay. I’ve tried it a few times when my joints get bad, and it does seem to work. A certain brand, POM, tastes wonderful.
    Also, I cannot drink wine because of my medications, but if I am eating anything with which a red wine would go well, I drink POM. It reminds me of red wine. It is that good.

4. Paula D.

My mother gave me the article on pomegranate juice and certo, and I found it interesting. I have battled rheumatoid arthritis for 22 years. My husband is British and through his family, I have found my own mixture of herbs and suplements that seem to work. I never have a pain-free day, but the frequency of “bad” days are less. I stay very active and work hard to maintain a comfortable weight for my joints. In the beginning, my doctor put me on a regiment of anti-inflammatory drugs. All this got me was three bleeding holes in my stomach. After my second knee surgery, I vowed never to take another prescription drug. Could you please tell me what the ratio of pomegranate juice to certo is? Thank you.

5. RW

I read your article concerning “grape juice and certo”. Is certo a brand name? Where can I find it? Is it the same as pectin?

6. Barbara Y. P.

I am most interested in the pomegranate juice and Certo for easing joint pain, but the article did not mention the amount of each to use on a daily basis. How can I get the correct amounts to use?