Q. Thank you so much for writing about IBS and coconut macaroon cookies. IT WORKS. I suffered with chronic diarrhea for years and have been healed for the last two years.

A. We’re always pleased to hear about success with home remedies. Donald Agar wrote us nearly ten years ago to report that two Archway Coconut Macaroon cookies a day banished the chronic diarrhea he suffered as a consequence of Crohn’s disease.

We have heard from other readers that coconut helps combat diarrhea. You can read stories from people who have tried it at www.peoplespharmacy.com. Not everyone who suffers with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) benefits from coconut macaroons, however.

1. RB

which is better to take olive or coco oil?

2. JK

After trying just about everything from manuka honey to antibiotics, nothing was working for my diarrhea predominant ibs symptoms – until I tried the coconut macaroons. As simple and crazy as it sounds, IT WORKS! I haven’t had any episodes since I started eating a couple macaroons a day. Try it – you have nothing to lose!

3. JPT

I read on this post that some one tried unsweetened toasted coconut and it helped her for the IBS symptoms. My questions is; what is the quantity of toasted coconut to be added to the cereal etc. Will eating raw coconut also do the trick?
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: THE DOSE MAY NEED TO BE INDIVIDUALIZED. START WITH ONE TEASPOON AND INCREASE IF NECESSARY. WE DON’T KNOW IF TOASTING THE COCONUT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.

4. P

Archway went under and was purchased by the Lance company. They have rehired employees and have begun production. So if anyone was having trouble finding the cookies hang on. In the meantime, Jennies macaroons available at health stores are effective. I believe both are the only products made with potato starch instead of flour.

5. Susan Pizzo

Gluten-free macaroons are commercially available. I bought a cannister of ‘Jennies’ at my neighborhood Kroger today for my mom to try (she has celiac syndrome and some as yet undiagnosed gastrointestinal). They can also be purchased online through the Vermont Country store and gluten-free specialty shops…
    Will report back with results, if any…

6. anne

I am glad it helps people. Coconut runs right thru me. I have IBS but mabye a macaroon will help. Worth the try.

7. JAS

This sounds like a nice solution, but what if one has celiac disease, as I have? I could not eat the cookies because of the flour. Would plain coconut work? Thanks.