Vitamin and mineral supplements are popular, but do they make sense? Many people have been told that taking vitamins just results in expensive urine. Find out which vitamins really make a difference—you may be surprised.

Dr. Tieraona Low Dog is one of the country’s leading experts on the evidence base behind herbs and dietary supplements. She knows how to overcome insomnia and anxiety without medications. Are there supplements that can boost the immune system against colds and flu? Is there value in mangosteen, hoodia, goji berries, black cohosh or milk thistle?

Guest: Tieraona Low Dog, MD, Director of Education for the Program in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona, Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine and Clinical Lecturer for the University of Arizona College of Pharmacy
Her Web site is:  www.drlowdog.com

1. michael dearing

To Dr. Low Dog:
    This is regarding a show of some time ago. I just found the note I made to give you some info on our experience.
    Black cohosh mix (Solaray Female Hormone Blend SP-7C) has worked very well for my wife for menopausal symptoms (hot flashes, etc.). She takes it daily and notices symptomatically when we run out. Could be the placebo effect, but hey, anything that works.
    Milk thistle is used medically (4g doses) for severe mushroom poisonings where the liver is the primary organ under attack (by the hydrazine-containing Amanitas, etc.); in the annual report of NAMA’s mushroom poisoning case registry in McIlvainea the journal.

2. mt

My doctor (veterans) says that I have high liver enzymes. I am now taking high doses of aloe vera. Is this good or bad? I am 85 years old and am in relatively good health.

3. Janet Niewald

My mother was diagnosed recently with atrial fibrillation. Otherwise, she is in good health for 80 years old, walks for 45 minutes daily, eats well and maintains her ideal weight. She does, however, have hypertension which, along with early death from strokes, runs strongly in her family. On the Jan. 19 show, Dr. Lowdog mentioned that calcium for people over 70 years old can be problematic, causing heart problems… did I hear that correctly? What are the recommendations for supplements for women like my mom? She loves vitamin supplements, and now I am concerned about it relative to her fibrillation and hypertension.

4. Ana Tampanna

My husband and I have been drinking mangosteen juice for 2 years. We had immediate and continuous results. I had an increase in energy, an immediate end to my seasonal allergies, my brain fog cleared up, I sleep better and wake up without a back ache. My digestion is better, I never get constipated any more, I no longer have shoulder pain at the computer, or leg cramps. My toenail fungus, which I had fought for 2 years, cleared up, and I feel more mentally focused without the constant forgetting I struggled with. I also feel happier all around. I am off of 2 medications.
    I had been seeking this energy increase with “GOOD” natural vitamins and exercise, but to no avail.
    My husband’s arthritis has improved drastically, his digestion is better, and the neuropathy in his feet (from radiation treatment 12 years ago) is going away. We drink the juice with the whole fruit, including the seeds and pericarp. My mother’s blood pressure immediately went down, and her short term memory problems are gone. At 83, she has more energy than many 50 year olds.

5. Jean R.

Is the health supplement JUVENON worth taking? It is a combination of Acetyl L-Carnitine HCL and Alpha-Lipoic Acid. It costs around $25 a month and I wonder if I am wasting my money?
    I am 79 yrs. old, completely healthy otherwise, but I smoked for 45 yrs. so do have emphysema [very severe]. What vitamins, herbs and minerals can I take to help myself with this condition? I do eat a very well-balanced diet. Being so stupid for 45 yrs., I am now trying to be smart in my old age!!!

6. Laurel

I take LOTS of vitamins, etc. I have heard that some vitamins are just like taking “rocks”, they don’t really do anything. I certainly have read and heard enough to know that vit. C is important, but how do you know which ones are “Pharma” quality? I can tell you for sure that since taking 2000 mg. of Vit.D (although I’ve heard it recommended to take 5000 mg), I just haven’t had a cold or flu–knock on wood!