Q. You have had questions from people with skin cracking on their fingertips. I have another option to add to your suggestions: Acid Mantle from Doak Dermatologics.

I learned about it many years ago from the cook at my children's camp. Her hands cracked and split from being washed and dried so often until she found Acid Mantle.

We initially used it for sunburn relief, but it’s also wonderful for chronic dry skin or the chapped area under your nose when you have a runny nose. Doing home remodeling (sanding, sheetrock) can be very drying because the protective oils of the skin get removed or the natural acid pH is disturbed.

Acid Mantle is expensive (about $44 for a 1-lb jar). But a little goes a long way, so the large jar lasts a year or more.

A. Ten years ago a scrub nurse wrote to us about Acid Mantle: “What a relief! It reversed the burn caused by the base pH in soaps, and returned my skin to normal.” The product contains petrolatum, glycerin and synthetic beeswax as well as other moisturizer ingredients.

1. Pam

Acid Mantle is a wonderful product especially if used after wet work as directed. It may be purchased through a pharmacy — they usually have to order it. I get a 16 oz. jar, which lasts a long time depending on usage. I believe that the last time I ordered it the cost was just under $60.

2. Philip Warner

I also suffered badly from cracks on my fingertips. I saw a recommendation for Pycnogenol in your newspaper column. After a week of taking it, the cracks went away. I’ve now been taking it over a year and I rarely have a crack or split. As a test, I stopped taking it and the cracks came back immediately. It works for me!

3. DC

DermologistRX.com or search internet for Acid Mantle.

4. GCM

I’m also in dire need & interested in finding out where I can obtain “Acid Mantle”. Can it be purchased at any Pharmacy over the counter, or do I have to obtain it from my Dermatologist?
    Grace

5. Ruth

I too have had this recommended to me by my dermatologists, but couldn’t find a source for it either?

6. N S

I see smaller sizes (1-oz. and 4-oz.) of A-Mantle are available online at about $10 and $20, and presumably at pharmacies as well.

7. Rosann Marrero

My husband’s feet are cracked so badly that they bleed at times. I would like to try this product, but I am not sure where to purchase it. Can someone let me know where I may buy it?
    Thank you.