Q. I have been using milk of magnesia on my face for the past two months since reading it in your column. My face flakes are gone!

I pour it in my hand and massage it on my face–forehead, eyebrows, around the eyes, nose, cheeks and chin–while showering. Then I rinse it off at the end of the shower. It’s a great, cost-effective alternative to expensive Nizoral and it works better, too.

A. A reader told us that a doctor suggested a topical mixture of milk of magnesia and Lotrimin AF for seborrheic dermatitis. This skin condition causes itching, flaking, scales or redness on the scalp or on the face around the eyebrows, forehead, nose and chin.

1. A.A.M

I have sebborheic dermatitis for quite sometime, I consulted two dermatologists already but it goes after the medications. Is the milk of magnesia really effective? thanks!!!

2. jose

I have the same problem that you had, is it possible to know how much alcohol and milk of magnesia you used and how?

3. J. L. A.

My dermatologist says he will need to take a biopsy from my face, because the seborrheic dermatitis has not gone away (after some years of treatment), naturally I am alarmed by this decision. How should the MOM be applied, length of time on the face, number of application each day, and how soon would I see results? Thank you so much,I appreciate your column!!

4. Bill Hutto

I have suffered with dry, flaky skin on my face and also with dandruff. Milk of Magnesia has really helped me, but before anyone tries it, a doctor should be consulted.

5. Wanda

My son has suffered w/severe dandruff since taking prednisone after removal of a pituitary tumor that caused Cushings Syndrome. That was almost 7 years ago. I read in a newspaper column about using milk of magnesia and it worked like a miracle, the very first application! I still can’t believe all the flakes are gone, and I keep checking his scalp to be sure. He wets his hair in the shower, applies it like shampoo, and leaves it on while he washes, then rinses it out and shampoos w/regular shampoo. GONE, GONE, GONE!

6. geoff

After reading the column on milk of magnesia for facial flakes, I tried it, and it worked! This was the most recent step taken after my dermatologist said that part of my redness and flaking was caused by a type of bacteria on the forehead that would be fixed by applying any high alchohol aftershave to the area. Cheap, and it worked after one day. Between these two daily treatments, my facial skin is in the best shape in many years.

7. marvin

How is milk of magnesia used on the head for dandruff?
    Do you apply it to a wet head, wait approximately what amount of time, and then use shampoo to remove it? Please be somewhat specific.
    Thank you.

8. JW

To the person using MOM on the daughter’s seborreha – what it the process? Do you apply, let sit for a few minutes, then rinse? Before or after shampooing? I am currently using LoProx and it doesn’t seem to be doing much good for the money that I pay for it. I would like to try this. Thanks for the info.

9. PDF

Can you also use this mixture in your hair without damaging your hair?

10. CM

I tried the milk of magnesia on my daughter’s terrible seborreha after using countless remedies and prescription shampoos, and it has made a real difference! We were already using lotrimin and Nizoral shampoo (prescription strength) and this seems to have really made a difference! And it is inexpensive. Hurray!

11. Beverly Beach

What are the amounts of Milk of Magnesia and Lotrimin AF?
    Thank You.