Q. I've lost close to 30 pounds in the last six months by adding vinegar, lime juice and cinnamon to my diet. I have a little bit before I eat. Other than that, I haven't changed my diet or amount of exercise one bit. I'm glad to have figured out something that works for me.

In the past, I had good results (a loss of 20 pounds in a year) by eliminating high glycemic foods (white stuff like sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice), but it's hard to keep that up. I'm always on the go and nothing is more portable than food carried between two pieces of bread.

I don't know how long the cinnamon and acid before meals will work for me. If my weight loss slows down, I plan to try harder to limit the high glycemic foods and increase my exercise.

A. Research has shown that both cinnamon and vinegar can help keep blood sugar from soaring after a meal. We haven’t seen research on lime juice. Avoiding refined carbohydrates also helps keep blood sugar down after meals.

Cinnamon may contain coumarin, which can be toxic to the liver. We recommend a water based extract for anyone using cinnamon regularly.

1. patty

I have low blood sugar( hypoglycemia) am wondering if the cinnamon would make it even worse, since it helps diabetics drop down their sugar?
    People’s Pharmacy response: In theory, it should only prevent the quick rise of blood sugar after a meal, especially a high-glycemic-index meal.

2. mina

I am currently drinking a cup of cinnamon tea with 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, sweetened with honey and I added a squirt of lime juice. I have been doing this every morning (8 am) and night (7 pm) for the past month I have noticed that I have become “regular” I do not have a bloated belly, I have lost five pounds and I no longer need to drink coffee in the morning. I have not changed my eating or physical habits.

3. Diana

I would like to know the dosage of each cinnamon, vinegar, lime juice. I would like to try this!
    Thanks
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: Here is Lisa’s Weight Loss Elixir: Put 5 decaffeinated green tea bags in 5 cups of water and bring to a full boil. Let steep 5 minutes, remove and discard tea bags.
    Add 2 level tablespoons baking soda and stir (tea will foam). Add 1/3 cup ground cinnamon and stir briefly. Cover and let steep.
    Cool the tea and move it to the refrigerator. Allow it to settle for at least two days. Then pour off and save the liquid and discard the solids (unless you know a 10-year-old who needs a science fair project on slime with attitude).
    Add 1 packet Certo liquid pectin, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/2 cup lime or lemon juice, 5 cups unsweetened juice (any combination of pomegranate, black or sour cherry, sugar-free cranberry or grape) and 1/3 to 1/2 cup Splenda to taste. Stir. Keep refrigerated. Drink 1/3 cup before each meal or snack. Lisa avoids high glycemic foods (white stuff like sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes and rice).

4. U.Goldstone

Would like amounts of vinegar cinnamon and lime juice please.

5. M.C.

Would like to know the amounts and dosage of the vinegar, lime juice and cinnamon. Are they mixed together? As the other readers said, it seems too good to be true! (however, I’m willing to try it!) Would you also please address concerns about cinnamon and liver damage? thanks

6. WJF

I use cinnamon in my coffee beans then grind and brew it. I use about 1/2 teaspoon for every 5 scoops of beans, could this practice be harmful? I would like to know the specific amount of cinnamon, lime juice and vinegar to use for the weight loss. What is water-based extract of cinnamon and does it have an over the counter name? Is it a liquid or pill? I would be very appreciative of any information on the above.

7. Stephanie

I would also like to know the amounts or the vinegar, cinnamon and lime juice. I would also like advice on what amount of coumarin makes it toxic to the liver? I sprinkle a little cinnamon (probably far less than 1/4 tsp) on my cereal nearly every single day. Should I stop doing this, or use even less? Thanks!

8. Anne

Would like to know the amounts and dosage of the vinegar, lime juice and cinnamon. What is a water based cinnamon extract?
    Thanks!

9. A. H.

I would also like to know what dosage and how often to take the cinnamon, vinegar and lime juice. I found cinnamon capsules at the drug store but want to know if the vinegar and lime juice need to be mixed together and all 3 taken at the same time.

10. B Conway

Would like the dosage of each and also is it white vinegar or apple cider vinegar? Is the cinnamon a pill or just the type you cook with?

11. Arlene

I also would like to know the exact amounts of vinegar, lime juice & cinammon to take. Please tell us the exact amounts & if it’s safe too?

12. Sue

I would like to know the dosage of each. It sounds too good to be true!

13. Martha Cline

I would also like to know the amounts of cinnamon, lime and vinegar and what it is mixed in. Also, how often? Is it 3 times a day or is it also with snacks between meals? Thanks so much. This was in our Sunday Paper last week.

14. Jerry K.

The vinegar and cinnamon sounds interesting. I want to know what dosage to take.

15. sak

I was just wondering in what amounts this person takes the cinnamon, vineger, and lime juice. Or the vineger and cinnamon. If you could tell me I would appreciate it. This interests me because like him I have lost weight on a low carb diet, but would like to lose more and would consider this.

16. S.D.

I would really like to know how much cinnamon, vinegar, and lime juice one needs to take and if all three need to be taken together.

17. Ken Walden

I remember reading somewhere that cinnamon had a pretty big effect on lowering cholesterol but can’t remember any of the details. Has there been some research in this area? I’ve never heard of the effect of cinnamon on the liver before. i assume that would apply to high doses, not sprinkllinfg some on toast every morning (I hope..).