Q. I am a physician who treats many patients in chronic pain. I am convinced that generic oxycodone is only about half as effective as the brand name OxyContin. This is a huge problem for my patients. How can we get someone to investigate?

A. As a physician, you can report therapeutic failure to the FDA MedWatch program and to the generic manufacturer. Patients taking a narcotic drug of this sort are unfortunately regarded with suspicion, so your voice on your patients’ behalf is especially important.

Despite FDA reassurance about the equality of generic drugs, we have now heard from hundreds of patients who have had difficulties. For more information go to www.peoplespharmacy.com and www.ConsumerLab.com.

1. Melinda
    United States

I switched from the Oxycotin brand label to the Oxycotin generic and its not controlling my pain! Has anyone else had this problem?

2. RH

I have chronic cluster headaches and fibromyalgia. My doctor recently put me on Natrexlone (think that’s the right spelling) at 2 mg to start. Normally dose given to overdosed drug users is 50 mg. Can’t believe my headaches have almost quit (I was having them every night!). Dr. has begun giving it to his fibro patients and said the maximum dose for this kind of pain reduction is 5 mg. It has to be compounded. So far his patients are having good results. Also now being used to help alcoholics stay dry. I’ve always done best with the oldest drugs as the newer ones cause serious side effects or don’t work.

3. skrobbins

I agree with this physician i have tried endocet and now oxcodone sandoz and they are either not effective or make me ill. GENERICS ARE NOT EQUAL!!

4. L.M.M.

Sir, with respect, you are completely wrong!!! I have unfortunately been on narcotics for years!! Some generics are MUCH more effective than others. Actually, my PAIN Dr.’s son, in med school, has just PROVED in a double blind study, that in fact some generics have ZERO pain relieving ingredients!!! (Mostly from CHINA, so DO ask PHARMACIST WHERE THEY WERE MANUFACTURED!!) So if you go from an average amount to zero pain relieving ingredients, of course you will have a dramatic difference in response. And in fact, there is only a slight “Placebo Affect”!!!!
    To “ASSURE” your patients that all pain relieving medications are the same, is to LIE to them. Please do more research before telling people in MISERY that it is in fact IN THEIR HEAD, WHEN IT’S NOT.

• DSB
      RI

I was so glad to read your post! I couldn’t agree more. I have been on a lot of pain meds
      over the years, and I find one that works(generic) I stick with it. Every time…just about
      Every time a Pharmacist says something like ” oh…try this brand they all work the same” someone just told a huge lie.
      And invariably the couple of times I gave in, I regretted it. Now your stuck.
      For the last few years I have been extremely pleased w/ the Qualitest 15 oxy. Always
      the same great results!

5. Susan P.

I have been on Oxycontin for the past 15 years for chronic bone pain following Chemo and surgery for Malignant Histioxytosis. Two weeks ago -March 15, 2014 My insurance company took it off the formulary! They gave us no warning -they just stopped it!
    Fortunately I was able to get a different strength to keep me pain free and out of withdrawal, but this week they removed the other strengths from the formulary! This SHOULD be illegal! So many people’s lives are so adversely affected by this!! My pharmacist said he heard that Oxycontin is going to be available in the generic form again. Has anyone ed heard this? Is there any truth to this?? I truly hope so!!

6. rp

Most of what you had to say was correct. Oxycontin contained Oxycodone (basically the pure form of the medication), Acetam. and codeine. It was created to control all types of Chronic Pain including post operative pain. Also, my friend whichever your talking about (oxycodone or oxycontin): both are Opioids. So therefore, what I, m saying is: is that Oxycontin was not created for patients who are opiod resistant. Rather, it was created to combat all types of chronic pain.

7. JA

I sincerely pray, madpharm, that you, or anyone you actually care about, never has any type of incurable disease like the patients on this site endure every day of our lives; 24/7; 365 days a year. I honestly don’t think that you could tolerate the pain that I do, or the pain these other people live with; if you ever did, you would have never written such an uninformed statement lacking in simply humane treatment of the unfortunate customers you have who pay your bills.
    madpharm, I took myself off of morphine sulphate and trazadone. When my Dr. wrote me a prescription for Oxycontin, after taking 2 capsules, each 1 was taken 2 days apart to see if I had the same horrible side-effects, I took the whole bottle back to my Dr., minus 2 capsules and explained that I didn’t know who could tolerate that medication but it wasn’t me. I had him count them in front of me and my husband; then, he wrote me my normal pain medicine which is Percocet 10-325. Now, I was given the new generic by a different manufacture and it does nothing to ease my pain and then I find that Watson has stopped making it’s generic and that the company that makes the “brand name” is going to stop making that, as well.
    I am facing the amputation of both my feet and, most likely, my entire right leg. So, madpharm, hence my prayer for you and those you love. You do not know what you’re saying, I assure you. Yes, the majority of generics work just fine; but, any other maker of generic Percocet, Watson, is completely ineffective. I’ve outlived the “experts” opinion by nearly 5 years through shear willpower and God’s will. Now, I’m holding on to God as hard as I can and begging him to help me endure this pain which would cause most people to just give up; lay down; and die.
    Until you’ve lived with that level of pain, or lived with someone who has to, like my husband, perhaps you would serve your customers much better if you had an epiphany and realized how wrong you are about this one issue. I sincerely wish you good luck because if you ever suffer as I do, you’re going to need a lot more than luck to get you through Hell on Earth.