Q. Is there a safe and easy improvement on the method of removing head lice? My wife is a kindergarten teacher and this annual ritual is wearing us both out. Her students bring lice from home, and they spread to the teachers and other students. Please help!

A. There is one novel approach that is both easy and safe. Dampen the hair, coat it with the facial cleanser Cetaphil and then use the blow-dryer. The Cetaphil hardens and forms a barrier that suffocates lice. Leave it on overnight, then shampoo it out in the morning (Pediatrics, Sept. 2004).

1. snic

I can now report that the Cetaphil treatment I linked to above works very well. I followed the instructions to the letter, applying three treatments at one week intervals to my daughter’s hair. It is a bit messy (Cetaphil gets dripped and splashed everywhere) and time-consuming (it takes a *long* time to blow dry a headful of hair wet with Cetaphil). However, it is nowhere near as tedious as combing for nits. After just the first treatment, I couldn’t find anymore lice in her hair.
    Fast forward a few weeks: I got a scare from the school nurse, who said she found nits on my daughter’s hair. The only ones she could find were several inches away from the scalp, which means they must be dead (nit casings, not actual lice eggs): lice lay their eggs on the hair right next to the scalp, and hair grows at 1/2 inch per month. The nits were so far away from the scalp, they must have hatched long ago. But she insisted that the school has a no-nit policy. I ended up taking my daughter to a professional nit comber, who charged me a lot of money to remove a total of 10 nits, all of them non-viable. She found no evidence of an active infestation.
    So, I have professional confirmation that the Cetaphil treatment worked. Schools really need to stop their no-nit policies. Lice are contagious, but nits are glued to the hair and can’t be transmitted. So, after one Cetaphil treatment (which kills all the lice, but not the nits), kids should be allowed to go back to school.

2. snic

Gigi, go to http://www.nuvoforheadlice.com/ for complete instructions on how to use Cetaphil to get rid of lice. I haven’t used this yet, but am going to try it.

3. Gigi

I have been battling with these resistant pests for 6 months. I have tried everything including 4 rounds of pesticides, non-pesticides shampoos, coconut oil shampoos & conditioners, mayo, olive oil, Listerine, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, an electronic zapping comb, etc. So now I am going to try Cetaphil. Does anyone know if you put the Cetaphil on dry or wet hair?

4. Tims

Two years ago my entire family had a severe case of head lice including my 4 year old daughter, 6 & 10 year old sons and my wife – I was spared (after ignoring my son scratching his head for a month thinking it was a nervous habit).
    We settled on the Cetaphil method. It worked 100%. No cleaning sheets, vacuuming the house, washing couch covers, etc.
    2 years later we had it again on all three children, this time my wife avoided it. Again, the Cetaphil method worked perfectly. I have seen numerous friends pay a women around the Cleveland area who comes in and supposedly gets rid of any lice problems. She charges $500. On at least 5 occasions that i am aware of this process has had to be repeated multiple times. 2 of these friends finally agreed to the use the Cetaphil method we had learned of. Again, 100% success.
    I have no issues with chemicals, i am not a green or organic person, we were just desperate and our pediatrician recommended this method.
    I URGE anyone with a family lice problem to use it!!

5. sarah

We are trying the Cetaphil treatment now to see how it works. If it doesn’t we’ll go for the old reliable Vaseline treatment. I thought I’d share it here, in case it can help those desperate enough to try it. We had lice a few years ago– my preschool daughter and I were both full-blown.
    We went the “nuclear” solution and put a thick coat of Vaseline all over our heads and left it there 8-10 hours. It was a nightmare to get out (used alternating baby oil and shampoo– baby oil breaks up the Vaseline– but it takes tons of washes). But, it did the job! I know because my husband couldn’t see the nits, so I never got “nit picked” but never had another nit hatch.
    Months later, I’d still find nits way down on the shaft of my daughter’s very thick hair and I’d say “thank goodness we used Vaseline!” or we’d be infested over and over again.

6. DM

Originally we saturated our dry hair with a mixture of shampoo and many drops of oil of oregano. I spend hours nit picking and we still felt itchy. After two days we still were seeing nits so I poured Listerine saturating our heads completely for 2 hours and covering our hair with a shower cap and then put vinegar on our heads for an hour also covering with a shower cap.
    The vinegar seems to completely dissolve the nits. Now we have a lot of white flakes in the hair. We still feel itchy so I read about neem oil on line and I have been using the neem oil mixed with tea tree oil for the last several days, I made a small spay bottle with equal parts of both in it and have been spraying my and my daughters heads daily. It seems to immediately stop the itch. It doesn’t smell so great but it stops the itch. Neem is suppose to screw up the life cycle of the lice. Its suppose to make them not want to feed or make eggs.
    Last night I took some coconut oil (which is suppose to eat at the exoskeleton of the lice) and mixed the neem/tea tree oils with it and slept with it on my head. Now I am once again soaking my hair with vinegar for an hour and then will shampoo it all out with the desonex shampoo (I am using the one with sylidic acid because I can’t find the one with coal tar).
    We are on day seven and if I still itch after this I think I’m going to go nuts. This weekend I am also going to dye my and my daughters hair to hopefully end this once and for all. In the event we are still itchy next week I might try the cetaphil.

7. gg

I was told by my pediatrician to put it on dry hair, blow dry and out on a shower cap over night. After rinsing and combing through the next day 99% were gone. I like the white vinegar idea cause I found 3 more eggs on my daughter’s head when I did it a second day in a row. I like this method because I can treat as often as I want without overexposure to toxins. I haven’t made it past the first 10 days though, so wish me luck!

8. Vikki

Cetaphil was the only thing that helped my sister’s kids…they had tried EVERYTHING, and lice like clean heads rather than dirty ones, so having their hair all clean after the shampoo doesn’t help when they go back to school the next day. Put some cetaphil on the kids’ hair (or yours!) before letting them go to school so the lice can’t jump in there again!

9. Lorraine

I have battled these since I found out I had a horrible infestation in January–still have the remainder of it, and am desperately trying everything to get rid of them!!! Things I have tried? Over the counter preparation (like Rid X) this did nothing—they were still there the next afternoon, also tried olive oil, mayonaise, Listerine (this was actually pretty good, but not adequate), Dawn dish liquid, White vinegar, and a lot of crying and broken combs! I am determined to get rid of the buggers so now I am trying the Cetaphil and a lot of blow drying!
    Also will be using Tea Tree Oil Shampoo, and I already use the Coconut Conditioner every time I shampoo, which does seem to keep them at bay, if the Cetaphil doesn’t work I may shave my head (I have hair to my waist!)….I am a grown woman and this is my first run in with them, I taught high school over 15 years and never knew how awful they are, don’t know where I got them, but I am exhausted with nit picking, crying and trying everything I can to eradicate them!!!

10. JCollins

THANK YOU!!! After a month-long battle with Head Lice (Kindergarten nightmare!) I found a tidbit in your book about white vinegar dissolving the “glue” which attaches the egg, or nit, to the hair shaft. This worked like a dream!
    I also discovered that permethrin creme rinse (but not Pyrethrin shampoos) works to kill live lice, but NOTHING kills the eggs so you MUST get rid of them PHYSICALLY. After a month of literally snatching out the child’s hair with a metal lice comb, tears, despair, The white vinegar is the savior!
    Thanks AGAIN (and again and again).

11. NT

There is a product in health food stores called “Lice Be Gone” that is herbs and natural ingredients, which can be used every night and is non toxic. It cured a case that we had that kept reccuring for 3 months! It is wonderful and safe.

12. A. A.

My daughter came home from school with head lice a few years ago. I spent an entire month using lice shampoos and combs and could not get rid of the little things. I found some information about Desonex. There are two types. One with Coal Tar and one with Salicylic Acid. You have to use both. The one with the Salicylic Acid dissolves the glue holding the eggs onto the hair shaft and the one with the coal tar repels the bugs. The head lice were gone in just a few days.