Q. When I was in college a fellow student gave me this silly remedy for hiccups. Place a paper napkin over the top of a glass of water. Have the hiccupper take sips of water through the napkin. It works!

A. Before the days of paper napkins, people used a clean cloth handkerchief in one variant of this hiccup remedy. We have no idea why this would work, but readers assure us that it does.

1. Jason

Wow ! That’s a shocker. It worked great.

2. Marcus

There’s another page on this website that suggests swallowing a tablespoon of sugar. That works pretty well…

3. Kelly M.

A bite into a lemon or lime works every time w/o fail. Just bite into it and get the juice so that the sourness gives you a shudder. Works instantly.

4. vvshrotriya

Drink plain cold soda (carbonated water), then hiccups will vanish.

5. BW

I learned when I was in 6th grade this cure for hiccups. Take some water in your mouth and hold there. Take the flaps that you have on your ears and press them in while you are swallowing the water slowly.
    If you have a straw, you can use that instead of holding it your mouth.

6. Bob P

I had hiccups the other day for the first time in years and happened to be at a friend’s house. She said, eat a teaspoon of sugar quickly, and when I did, the hiccups vanished. Possibly not the best remedy for all, but it worked for me.