Q. A neighbor of mine was so crippled with arthritis she had to use a walker. She and her husband had over a hundred beautiful azaleas that she could no longer care for.

Then I walked by her house and thought I was seeing things. There she was, down on her knees, working in her flower beds. I said, "Nancy, have you experienced a miracle?" "No," she said, "just gin and raisins!"

I began taking the recipe and was able to stop going to the arthritis clinic, which wasn't helping anyway. My osteoarthritis subsided and I stopped taking the remedy. Now, 10 years later, I'm 67 and the arthritis has come back in the last joint of my little fingers with redness, pain and swelling. I remembered the recipe but forgot to let the gin evaporate. It turned into the most delicious raisiny brandy and helped the joints be less painful and swollen.

In the next batch I used black raisins. For some reason, it isn't helping as much. I guess I'll go back to yellow raisins.

A. We cannot begin to explain why some folks benefit so dramatically from the gin and raisin remedy while others tell us it is worthless. The recipe calls for a box of golden raisins in a shallow container. Just enough gin is poured over them to cover. Once the gin has evaporated the “dose” is nine raisins a day.

Those who would like more details on this and other unique approaches to arthritis relief may wish to order our Guide to Home Remedies.

1. Susan

After putting the gin on the raisins and letting it evaporate, an you put the raisins in the refrigerator so they will keep?

2. Joy

Do you put the raisins in the fridge? Do you cover them?

3. Ron

I take one tablespoon of golden raisins soaked in gin a day and my pain is gone and I mean gone!

4. AD

I to am wondering if there is any other liquid to use besides gin, as i do not drink any alcohol.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE DON’T KNOW HOW IT WILL WORK, BUT ONE READER IS EXPERIMENTING WITH APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN PLACE OF GIN. IF YOU TRY IT, LET US KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU.

5. CBarr

I had continual back pain and knee pain. VA advised it was osteoarthritis, prescribed Motrin.
    Began taking the gin and golden raisins about two years ago. Take no medication and the pain is a thing of the past. Took about 90 days or so before the total relief.
    For those so afflicted its certainly worth a try!

6. LBP

Would like to try the golden raisens and gin, how many do I eat every day?
    Thanks

7. jackig

is there any contraindications for taking sulfur dioxide every day? I eat the raisins daily. Do you then think it matters if the raisins are yellow or natural? I would prefer to use natural raisins but want it to continue working. I am stiff when I awake in the morning but then i can walk for 45min before work daily. It seems to be working.

8. D. Campbell

I took 1200 mgs of IU daily for about 4 years. The Drs. switched me to Tynol at 500mgs, then 1000 mgs, then 1350 mgs every 6 hrs. I stayed with the Tynol for about 9 months until I read this article.
    After reading this article, I tried the raisins. I’ve stopped the Tynol and only occasionaly need one low-dose Tynol if I physically exert myself too much. It’s been a month that I’ve been on the raisins and I feel GREAT !!!

9. CS

Response to PAUL C. GULEY: golden raisins are NOT bleached, they are from green grapes and contain only sulfur dioxide, which is a preservative. This sulfite prevents darkening of the fruit during the drying process.

10. sg

Is there something you can use besides gin in the raisins? I do not touch alcohol, even though it evaporates…
    Is there something else??

11. jrs

The golden raisins are bleached and the bleaching compound is a standard Arthritis treatment. The Gin berry base may help make it work better.

12. PAUL C. GULEY

VITAMIN D SEEMED TO SHUT DOWN MY ARTHRITIS PAIN. I STARTED TAKING VITAMIN D 400 IU AND THEN WENT TO 1000 IU’S AND THEN TO 2000 IU’S FOR ABOUT A WEEK AND THAT DID SHUT DOWN THE PAIN. THEN I STEPPED IT DOWN TO 1500 IU’S AND THEN BACK TO 1000 IU’S AND IT SEEMS TO WORK. THE SORE PAIN HASN’T COME BACK. TRY IT. PG OUT

13. Rose Glenn

I have taken chromium picolinate (500 mcg) once a day to prevent diabetes for 30 years. Diabetes was prevalent in my family so I read in AARP magazine to take this vitamin. I am so happy I read the article, because I know how bad the disease is.

14. Rhonda

I began taking the gin and golden raisins daily several years ago at the advice of my doctor. I had not been able to wear my rings for months due to swollen knuckles and could barely close my fist, but after about a month of the gin and raisins I was able to wear my rings and have virtually no pain in my fingers. It works for me! I will continue to use it.