Q. I had vertigo for 17 months, a very severe case. The doctor put me through tests, including an MRI, a test that put me in a black cabinet and spun me around while I answered questions and one that squirted water into my ear.

Then a friend suggested ginger capsules. I took the recommended two capsules four times a day.   The vertigo was nearly gone, but it gave me a terrible stomachache. I couldn’t eat or even sit up.

I now take one capsule a couple of times a day. The stomach pain is mostly gone, and so is the vertigo. I can walk up and down stairs without holding onto something and I can turn around to see something behind me without my head spinning. Will I need to take the ginger the rest of my life, or will the vertigo stop eventually? In other words, is this a cure or just treating the symptoms?

A. Chinese sailors have used ginger for centuries to ease or prevent symptoms of motion sickness so we’re not surprised it might help vertigo. In high doses ginger can cause heartburn or other digestive distress.

We cannot speculate about whether ginger will cure your vertigo completely or just relieve the symptoms. At some point you and your physician should evaluate your progress to see whether you can discontinue the ginger.

1. Nicole
    California

Hi, I have been suffering from vertigo for over a year now. I went to several doctors, had a cat scan done, as well has seeing a chiropractor for over 6 month’s. Finally!, I found acupuncture. After just a few visits he helped ease the vertigo. He told me that it was caused by a hormone imbalance and digestive problem. I’m here wanting to let everyone know there is hope! I am currently taking tea that is specially made for me as well as acupuncture twice a week. It is expensive but we’ll worth it! Good luck everyone.

2. Fergal

Hi,
    The following treatments are worth investigating
    1.Epley manoeuvre
    2 Brandt Daroff exercises
    3.Hall pike procedure
    The following medicines Re vertigo are also useful
    1. Vasterel (very good three a day it is used primarily for angina but it is also brill for vertigo)
    2. Serc (Betahistine Dihydrachloride) Quite good
    3 Stemitil (reasonable /avg I have found)
    The following teas and herbal tinctures may also help
    1. Ginger tea
    2. Garlic or ginko ie these are good vascular agents similar to but not nearly as effective as Vasterel
    3. Guta Kola
    Finally acupuncture is often helpful and if you can make your way to a bio energy healing qualified practitioner if you are suffering uncontrollably these often calm down the vestibular system. Also try to limit overuse of alcohol and caffeine and consider instead yoga, deep breathing techniques and simple walking 20 mins daily.

3. Kristy

I was just wondering if the ginger has helped anyone that has just the off balance feeling all the time! I feel like I’m falling and on a boat! I don’t have any spinning at all thank god for that! I have had this problem for 20 years now and no dr can tell me anything! I’m stuck in my house for a year at a time and then the next year I’m ok and then the next year it starts all over again! please help!!

• Nancy
      Salinas ca

I read that taking two capsules of ginger helps with vertigo. I have tried white flower oil (it’s for dizziness and migraine headaches and other pain), please look it up online. God bless, and may this help you all.

4. ac

I’m so glad I found this web site. I have now been suffering from dizziness/light headedness for a little over a year now. I have definitely procrastinated going to the doctor until most recently. My doctor has ordered blood work, and also referred me to eye doctor. Still waiting on blood work results, and I pick my new glasses up today. They say the dizziness could be my eyes… but in my own opinion I really don’t believe it. We will see!!!
    Anyways seeing all these comments gives me some sort of comfort.. knowing I’m not the only one. I can’t even work right now. I am highly depressed, and I feel just everyday is the same. Keep in mind I am only 25 years old. I did notice the dizziness all started when my wisdom teeth were coming in… but who knows. This is scary not knowing… I hope all of you find out what is wrong. And I will be praying. If anyone has advice on what tests I should get done please comment… my doctor seems to not find my situation as a big deal. Thank you

5. AS

I used to use gingko biloba tincture and it was the only thing that worked. They have taken it off the market in Ireland because it hasn’t been tested, which makes me want to scream, as I have been off work for 6 weeks with vertigo, and would have been cured if I could have bought gingko. It really does work.

6. sandra

how often do u take calcium and magnesium and also do u buy it as a powder or a tablet I would appreciate any info thanks

7. iftaqar

Exercise for the vertigo

8. mercy

hi. my name is mercy I feel like I’m going crazy I’m 46 yrs old gone thru menopause suffer from anxiety panic attacks I’m ended up in the er the did a ct scan showed low density white matter all kinds of blood work with all came back fine… thank god my neurologist said I have a good neuro exam. of course he was looking for ms… I have lots of ears problems, but my vertigo/dizziness is horrible, I have a good friend very old lady she told me about ginger tea and I also spoke to my friend at gnc he said the same so did my pharmacy. I’m trying it tonight for the first time I’m just wondering how long before I feel it working ?????

• Nicole

Have you thought about accuputure? It has done wonders for me and my vertigo.

9. Ellen

I have vertigo caused by chicken pox on my inner ear balance organ. It has been unbearable for the last year….any suggestions?

• Nicole

Hi, I was curious if you have considered accuputure?

10. WK

Hi all, I have again started to suffer with vertigo, after some 8 yrs of relief. I previously suffered attacks over a 10 yr period. I saw lots of specialists, had scans etc to be told was benign vertigo triggered by migraines. I tried lots if medication but to no avail. I last suffered with it when I first found out I was expecting and then had no more attacks. The vertigo has returned again some 8yrs later, the attacks have been more frequent and lasted for longer timescales.
    I again have seen an ear, nose and throat specialist who have confirmed it to be BPPV. They gave me exercises to continue at home but that triggered severe ear ache in my right ear. I’ve had a cat scan to come back clear. I have been off work so far 5weeks and there is no sign of it letting up. My doctor has basically said you know what it’s like you’ve had it before it’s something you have to live with!
    I feel like I have a disability and anyone who has not suffered vertigo can imagine how horrible it is. Not only is it the imbalance but I am also left feeling completely drained, struggle to concentrate and it really does get to you. I am going to try the ginger… after all anything is worth trying for any relief!

11. Tq

Friends. I have been diagnosed with BPPV and its the worst. But I recently found a study made in 2012 that linked vitamin d deficency with BPPV. My levels were really low and so I started supplementing I haven’t had a vertigo attack since but I still have the residual dizziness that is slowly fading. I hope it works and I don’t have any more vertigo attacks. Please check your levels!!! T

12. Raquel

My mom came home from yoga 8 days ago throwing up and spinning. Took her to ER and then ENT. They said it could last up to 2 weeks. Vertigo was diagnosis. She can not get out of bed. She just lays there all day trying not to move so she doesn’t throw up. She is the healthiest 61 year old I know. I’m scared for her. She looks like she is slowly dying. I could use some advice if anyone has any. Thank you!

13. JET

I got to this site because I was looking for information on ginger and its effect on vertigo. I began suffering from extreme vertigo about a year ago. My story is similar to many of the stories posted here so I won’t bother with the details, but I do want to share with you my doctor’s answer, which did surprise me. He said he believes I suffer from migraines. He suggested that I read Heal Your Headache by David Buchholz M.D. and that I would think the book was written about me. He was right.
    I learned that I get migraines without the headache, but instead vertigo, which are triggered by different foods; there are many migraine triggering foods such as nuts, dried fruit, coffee, chocolate, oranges, bananas, yeast, onions, etc, etc. I have figured out many of the foods that trigger my vertigo and it has been difficult because my diet has become very limited, but the vertigo spells are now few and far between.
    If I get an attack, I know it’s because I’ve eaten something I should have avoided. I highly recommend this book to anyone suffering from vertigo – you may actually have a migraine.

• Nicole

I too was told this exact same thing! But still continued to get vertigo after an elimination diet. Accuputure has changed my life and I want to let people know about it!

14. pmy

May I share my way of curing dizziness & migraine?
    I take 12 glasses (8 oz) of water, preferably spring water, deep well or
    tap water with minerals in it
    4 tsp Rock sea salt for additional minerals Iodized salt is
    is not allowed
    6 pcs Uncooked Ripe saba banana to
    be eaten raw (Saba banana – plantain
    found in the Philippines, very rich in potassium
    Instructions: Mix salt and water and consume all in a day
    Take 2 saba banana before or after meal (I prefer taking
    it before)
    This is my daily maintenance, other than dizziness, it also cures other ailments

15. SJ

About 3 weeks ago I woke up from an evening nap and the room appeared to be spinning, I thought I was going to have a seizure or heart attack and die. So I panicked and screamed calling my husband and son into the room, we called the RN at Kelsey Seybold Clinic and she asked me several questions.
    I did some reading on this site and saw that V had told her daughter to take 1 part calcium to 4 parts magnesium, so I tried it and I felt good for a few days. The lightheaded feeling returned, finally I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with benign positional vertigo and was given meclizine five days later. The medicine made me sleep all day after I came from work, so a week ago I stopped taking meclizine and started back taking the calcium and magnesium together and I hardly feel the vertigo at all.
    I am so Thankful for everyone sharing their stories because it has help give me so much relief.

16. Chuck V.

I went to my local Whole Foods store and bought liguid Ginger in the herbal/vitamin section…Comes with an eye dropper top and I put about 5-7 drops per beverage…Found it to be horrible in no matter what I drank or put it in…. Ginger Ale…Can’t even taste it….I crack open a can of diet or regular Ginger Ale and about 2-3 times a day with the 5-7 drops….Takes a while, maybe a few days and it seems to make the lightheadedness and woozies less noticeable….Doesn’t prevent a vertigo attack, but it lessens the side effects..

17. Kizzy

I have had migraine since I was 9 years old I used to manage by getting to a properly ventilated area or drink cold water and pour some on my head. I did this because I did not want to use pain killers all the time. However if cooling my head and breathing fresh air failed for me I had to take pain killers.
    Now I am 33 years old and I have had my third episode of Vertigo. At first early this year when it first hit me it hit so bad I was sacred and I just wanted to be in hospital since I could not explain what was going on. I could not sit stand or walk. I was hospitalised for 4 days and was given antihistamine drugs. I had my ears checked, CT scan, BP check, Blood Sugar Check, all were OK.
    In fact my haemoglobin was found to be 17. Doctor said I was in a good position to donate blood with such high haemoglobin. I also realised that when I am thinking hard or anxious or when I am actively talking and explaining something I am so passionate about like in the case of teaching, I get a jolt that can end up triggering Vertigo. Now I have tried the Epley’s manoeuvre which helped a little but I have settled with fresh Ginger root which I grind and place in a cap and sip while I work at the office.
    Since Ginger root is natural I don’t mind replacing my tea and coffee with it. I have stopped drinking coffee, tea, milk, coke, Stopped eating too much red meat and stopped taking alcohol. What I have experienced is that Vertigo is like a ripple caused by a pebble dropped in still water. It dies out gradually and even when taking Ginger, there is still little ripples left, so it may take time to even out eventually. But avoiding the stimulants I have listed above and avoiding rapid head movements like when standing up can help the ripples quiet down faster.

18. Dennis L.

Got up one morning dizzy & vomiting, lasted about 4 days, vomiting stopped but still dizzy.
    Will give the ginger a try. Thanks.

19. J.C.

Yes do look for other problems, mine was tick bite resulting in Lyme. The Labyrinthis hit me so hard at a lumber store they had to call for an ambulance. The Lyme diagnoses was not made for another three weeks. I spent ten day with 101/103 temp and could hardly walk. This since August 2012 I’m in Post Chronic Lyme Syndrome and headed for a Neurologist. I will try the Ginger!!

20. April

I woke up with the room spinning and started vomiting. It was horrible! My husband took me to the emergency room. They said I had labrynthitis. Said there is no real known cause for it, maybe the inner ear or a virus. I was given an IV solution for dehydration and valium along with a strong motion sickness medicine. I was sick for one week, then it was gone. Now a year later, my husband is having dizzy spells and nausea. Not as bad as what I had, but enough to make him uncomfortable.
    The same month I had my problem, three of my friends of various ages developed similar symptoms. I seriously believe that this is some sort of virus. I don’t have allergies, my husband does. I woke up with the symptoms, my friend developed hers after getting off an airplane trip. There are too many of us for this to be just an odd inner ear problem. I am going to give my husband the ginger, calcium, magnesium, and ginko. I will have him use a saline nose rinse and sleep propped up on pillows for a few nights. I sure hope one of these things helps him. If it is an infection, has anyone taken antibiotics for it? Thanks for all the advice.

21. Bernie

I have been suffering Vertigo for the last 2 weeks and I was searching for answers on the internet, I found a reference to Ginger and so just now while writing this started using Ginger. All I had in my pantry was powdered ginger so what the heck I took some now the symptoms have reduced and I put it all over my breakfast oats and feel a lot better as a result. I might not be 100% better yet but it’s sure made a difference.