Q. My mother read somewhere that vodka-soaked white raisins might be good for arthritis. She is now eating nine a day.

Mom has taken quite a bit of ribbing from the family. What is the benefit from this formula? Can you provide any written details about how to prepare them and how often she should eat them, how they should be stored, etc.?

A. We first heard about a gin-raisin remedy in 1994. Some folks tell us it is worthless while others sing its praises. Here is just one example:

“This remedy has worked for me for over two years. When I forget to eat my raisins for several days my arthritis gets much worse. I can't believe how much better I feel when taking them. Since I do not tolerate medication for inflammation at all, the raisins are my only relief.”

This recipe calls for golden (a.k.a. white) raisins. Put them in a shallow bowl, then pour just enough gin over them to cover them. Allow the gin to evaporate, a process that may take as long as a week. Then keep them refrigerated in a covered container and eat nine raisins daily.

We are sending you our Guide to Home Remedies with recipes for this and other approaches to arthritis.

1. PHILL R

I am 60 years old now and commented on this thread a couple times over the years.
    Yes it works great for me and many others that I know. Use a cheap gin and golden raisins in a canning jar.
    If you have joint pain and or swelling it could work for you too. I use (drink) a tablespoon or two of the mixture “broth” after a couple days of a fresh batch. After the juice is used up I leave it out of the refrigerator and just eat several raisins daily until most are gone and then just make up a new batch. I always say a prayer over the new batch.

2. Joni

What is better to use for the mixture with white raisins–vodka or gin? I am really anxious to start this pain treatment. Please respond ASAP

3. MITCH

Hi, Is there a difference in which type of Gin one uses-
    1. Generic Vs. Trade Name
    2. Gin Type – Juniper-Flavoured Spirit Drinks, Distilled gin, London gin, Or Gin?
    People’s Pharmacy response: London gin

4. Paul Lane

My mom swore by it! I just started taking it for my knees, hands, and ankles. Expecting good results!

5. pf

I would also like a copy of the receipe. Does the potassium stay the same?

6. M.C.

March 25, 2013
    I JUST MADE THE GIN AND WHITE RAISINS REMEDY around the middle of February 2013. I bought the Ivanbitch gin. I am not lying the pain is gone and the swelling in my right knee and in my right wrist is gone. I went to Joan’s fabric store and bought me a single mason jar, quart size for 1.99 each, probably can get one cheaper at walmart etc. I bought two boxes of golden raisins and packed them in one jar. I meant I packed them too. I poured the whole half pint of Ivanbitch gin in the jar with the raisins, afterward, I turned it upside down with the lid on it about 3 times or more, so that the gin could soak through the raisins from top to bottom.
    After this, I took the lid off and sat it on the kitchen table. I cut a small piece of cheese cloth and place it on top of the jar without the lid, really any kind of thin piece of cool material can work as long as the gin can evaporates through it, some old stockings that you don’t wear can work and a thin dish rag, cut it and lay it on top of the jar, don’t put the lid back on. Each morning, I will mashed the raisins further down in the jar, making sure the gin is on top and put the piece of cloth back on top of the jar. I did this for about 14 days, tasting and sampling it along.
    You can tell that the gin is evaporating out but don’t expect every ounce to evaporate out but it still work. The gin settle into the raisins and give it a preserve taste. Sometimes, I will count nine raisins or just eat a spoon full each day. I really could tell the different within a week. The pain is gone in my right wrist and right knee.
    I bought a half pint of Ivanbitch gin because the word, juniper berry is listed as one of the main ingredients, of course, all gins have juniper berry but it’s not listed in the ingredient, but since the word juniper is visual as one of the main ingredient, I was told by the clerk at the liquor store to buy it that because this is the brand what most people buy for this recipe. I was hopping, I’m not hopping anymore. I couldn’t walk without pains in my right knee. I was taking all kinds of pain pills nothing didn’t help, neither did the knee and wrist bracklets.
    Now, I am shopping at the mall, pain free and can wear my pumps again. I been on the recipe for about a little over four weeks. Please, don’t buy expensive gin to make this recipe, ivanbitch gin is cheaper than seagram gin and its really works. Good luck! Be careful, don’t eat too many serving a day, remember the raisins are drunk and you can become tipsy! Marie

7. Barbara Wood

Have just soaked 500grms of Sultanas in Gin and covered the dish with plastic. Should I stir them daily and how
    long before I can commence eating the sultanas?

8. Susan B.

Cheap gin plus raisins/sultans /currants plus container ..Soak if you can stir shake daily for a week or less till they look like the gin has soaked in then enjoy, but don’t waste the gin or left over fruit eat /drink that to>>>> Plus always have a batch on hand spare as it’s too good and you will run out soon.. email me on how you go and testing other things

9. poomer

I used london dry gin 3.99 a bottle 1/3 of a bottle covered the raisins. took about 4-5 days to evaporate. Leaves a very sticky juice at the bottom. 9 raisins did the trick in about 3 hrs. and got better each day. I have been using them for 4 days now and even my plantars faciatis is now doable.

10. Jenkbug

For the folks in Australia who cannot find white (golden) raisins, they might
    contact http://www.nutsonline.com .They carry an extensive line of dried fruit as well
    as nuts.

11. JB

Has anyone ever tried gin-soaked craisins? I can’t find anything with a Google search. I got two new hip joints last year, which helped those problems; now, I’ve had impossible pain in my neck for two months. Since I don’t have raisins; but, do have craisins and gin, I’ll try them and let you know. Thanx for the NFO.

12. taf

I could not remember this recipe so in dire pain, I poured a shot of vodka in some almond milk.. the pain went away.
    Maybe it is just the vodka.. ??? try it.

13. Pat

If you cover it how is the liquid supposed to evaporate?