Q. Some time ago I read in your column about someone who had success removing skin tags with a liquid bandage. I would appreciate hearing about this remedy.

I have several of these growths around my neck where the chain of my necklace rests. I have been considering having them removed by a dermatologist, but would like to try this remedy first.

A. We have heard from many readers who tell us New-Skin Liquid Bandage works: “I used it twice a day for three days and the skin tags came off!” Others tell us it may take a few weeks.

Another approach some readers have tried involves a wart remedy: “I found Compound W works just as well for getting rid of skin tags.”

There is also an old-fashioned approach to skin tag removal: “I had a rather large one on the side of my neck. My dermatologist said to just ignore it. Soon after, I mentioned to a friend (an orthopedic doctor) how much I hated it, and he promptly tied and knotted a piece of thread around it and cut the ends off real close. You couldn’t even see it. He said that would shut off the blood supply to the tag and it would fall off very quickly. It was gone in three days.”

1. kr

I have a large skin tag the size of a small grape in the area between my leg and where my buttock starts, I’ve had it for many years and over time it has gotten larger. It does not hurt but sometimes rubs because it is right where the underwear wear. The most logical of the home remedies seems to be the dental floss, what are the suggestions in place of going to the doctor?

2. Lily

If I use the string or floss, how long does it usually take?

3. Robin Singleterry

I wouldn’t use the string or floss unless it’s where you can get to it easily. I successfully removed mine with a tiny rubber band wrapped a few times. It cuts the circulation off and turns black and falls off in a few days. Yes it can be a little painful but it’s worth it in the end! If it’s not too big you could just clip it with some sharp mustache scissors or nail clippers. Good luck!

4. Lily

I’m just terrified if I do use the string, the outcome will be wrong.

5. AH

Put some whiskey on it then it should go away or fall off its 1 idea.

6. Lorna

I had skin tags frozen yesterday does anyone know how long it takes for the redness to go away or is there something I can put on them to take the redness away as I go back to work in 3 days thank you for your help

7. lynn

“Getting rid of tags” Take the inner part of the banana peel and cut the peel in a small size and place the banana peel over the tag with a Band-Aid. Do this daily until the tag fall off. If you don’t want the banana peel on 24 hours a day you can put the banana peel on at night prior to bed but it will take just a little bit longer than wearing the banana peel 24 hours. Works great and no pain.

8. mezie

I never comment but am so excited I had to share. I have had a large mole on my chest since I was young. I went to a dermatologist while I had insurance but she refused to take it off since I was pregnant. A doctor friend said he would remove it but changed his mind when he saw size and location. It took mine 4 days to fall off… I was very worried since floss was stuck. Doesn’t look like it is going to scar too bad. I’m so happy to be free of it. Thanks for the info.

9. Sally

I’m overweight and have noticed my neck is getting a bumpy appearance. I am sure I will develop a ton of skin tags on my neck due to friction and I want to prevent that. There is nothing to tie off right now and there are so many bumps that I can’t use the freezing type of skin tag remover or else I would need to freeze my whole neck, including the area without bumps. Is there any creams I could try? Dry brushing? Exfoliating? Anything that I can use on my whole neck area? Any advice would be most appreciated.

• Josie
      New Zealand

Apple Cider vinegar wash morning and evening, or even put a face cloth in an apple cider vinegar and warm water solution and cover your neck with it for a few minutes a day. It will help :)