skin tag

Q. Some time ago I read in your column about someone who had success removing skin tags with a liquid bandage. I would appreciate hearing about this remedy.
I have several of these growths around my neck where the chain of my necklace rests. I have been considering having them removed by a dermatologist, but would like to try this remedy first.

A. We have heard from many readers who tell us New-Skin Liquid Bandage works:

“I used it twice a day for three days and the skin tags came off!”

Others tell us it may take a few weeks. Another approach some readers have tried involves a wart remedy:

“I found Compound W works just as well for getting rid of skin tags.”

There is also an old-fashioned approach to skin tag removal:

“I had a rather large one on the side of my neck. My dermatologist said to just ignore it. Soon after, I mentioned to a friend (an orthopedic doctor) how much I hated it, and he promptly tied and knotted a piece of thread around it and cut the ends off real close. You couldn’t even see it. He said that would shut off the blood supply to the tag and it would fall off very quickly. It was gone in three days.”

1. Chrystal
    Gallup,NM

I just applied clear nail polish on mine. Fell off in just a few days.

2. Daniella B
    UK

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE POST TO CONVINCE YOU! Read this! I read hundreds of comments on forums before having the confidence to do it. I had a grape size skin tag on my face, near to my ear, that literally ruined my life for nearly 10 years. I was too embarrassed and poor for a removal and I used my hair to partially cover it (even turned down jobs where I’d need my hair tied back several times!) From 20-30 it RUINED my confidence. Years ago I tried tying the tag with floss but got paranoid about the embedded string getting infected and it was sore and bleeding so I took it off. It was so big I couldn’t face snipping it off either.

So one week ago I tried using just a band aid (plaster), or more like 5 because it was so big, to cut off circulation. I twisted the tag and pulled it downward and covered it with lots of plasters to hold it in place. On day 1 it didn’t feel any different under the bandages (but a bit colder from lack of blood), day 2 it was slightly larger and swelled up, day 3 I carefully changed the bandages and it was big, swollen, much harder and purple, day 4 it was still swollen a little bit sore around the stalk of the tag with some blood and pus (the tag is detatching, I was nervous but the wound is actually very small so don’t worry), day 5 I changed the bandages and it was very dark, getting shrivelled and smaller but still attached, day 6 there was no pain and the tag was a lot smaller, not swollen anymore but hard and dead, day 7 it was a quarter of the size and before sleeping I took the band aids off and it was no longer attached. IT WAS GONE! It took 7 days, there was almost no pain, a bit of gross bandage changing and lot’s of WILL POWER to go through with it but for the first time in 10 years I’m not constantly trying to cover my face with my hair. Peace, Daniella x

3. Zettes
    M

My husband suffers from multitagliosis- he has hundreds in his arm pits and groin area. Ick! How do I get rid of them en- mass? The doc charges about $10.00 Each!!

4. margaret
    new jersey

I put coconut oil on what seemed to be several warts around my neck. They are gone. I rubbed it in several times a day for a week or two. Then I had a small one under my eye. Same thing. Gone in a short time.

5. Terry_D
    OH

I have been using nu-skin for at least two weeks, two times per day, and my (small) skin tag did shrink. Last night, I forgot to put it on, and when I woke up this morning it had started filling out again. I put more on it, and I’m hoping it falls off soon. It did burn for the first few times I used it, but now it just feels wet when I put it on. The Dr. Oz show had someone on a couple of years ago that demonstrated the tying-off technique with dental floss, and he didn’t have anything negative to say about it so I figure I’ll do that for a much larger tag I have on my body.

6. Amy
    Austin

Just a tiny “dot” of oregano oil on the end of a toothpick twice a day can remove the skin tag. I’ve removed two this way and it’s really easy and natural. The oregano oil dries it out until it falls off. It really does work!

7. Yvette West
    Georgia

Love this page!

8. joy

Years ago, I had many skin tags. My Doctor told me to have my husband tie thread tightly around each one and cut the ends short.
    Every one fell off quickly, with no pain, or scar and never returned.

• Virginia
      SC

The do that in the animal neutering world

9. Julie
    Michigan

Tomorrow is day 3. It was the size of a raisin under my spare tire, lol. I took pics of it everyday, and it should fall off tomorrow. Here is what we did: I wrapped a tiny rubber band 3 times around a 3/8 deep-well socket wrench, clean of course. This fit right over my raisin-sized skintag. Then we rolled the rubberband down over it. It pinched for awhile on day 1, but I’m short and fat so it didn’t bother me much. It took 2 of us, and I had to lie down only because I’m fat and short and can’t see over my breasts.

10. kr

I have a large skin tag the size of a small grape in the area between my leg and where my buttock starts, I’ve had it for many years and over time it has gotten larger. It does not hurt but sometimes rubs because it is right where the underwear wear. The most logical of the home remedies seems to be the dental floss, what are the suggestions in place of going to the doctor?

11. Lily

If I use the string or floss, how long does it usually take?

12. Robin Singleterry

I wouldn’t use the string or floss unless it’s where you can get to it easily. I successfully removed mine with a tiny rubber band wrapped a few times. It cuts the circulation off and turns black and falls off in a few days. Yes it can be a little painful but it’s worth it in the end! If it’s not too big you could just clip it with some sharp mustache scissors or nail clippers. Good luck!

13. Lily

I’m just terrified if I do use the string, the outcome will be wrong.

14. AH

Put some whiskey on it then it should go away or fall off its 1 idea.

15. Lorna

I had skin tags frozen yesterday does anyone know how long it takes for the redness to go away or is there something I can put on them to take the redness away as I go back to work in 3 days thank you for your help

16. lynn

“Getting rid of tags” Take the inner part of the banana peel and cut the peel in a small size and place the banana peel over the tag with a Band-Aid. Do this daily until the tag fall off. If you don’t want the banana peel on 24 hours a day you can put the banana peel on at night prior to bed but it will take just a little bit longer than wearing the banana peel 24 hours. Works great and no pain.

• violet
      florida

they don’t go away for at least 10-14 days and are lined with red and turn black and finally fall off. I hate having them frozen. The best way is to have the dermatologist cut them off. They don’t seem to want to do that anymore. I have been fighting them for years.

17. mezie

I never comment but am so excited I had to share. I have had a large mole on my chest since I was young. I went to a dermatologist while I had insurance but she refused to take it off since I was pregnant. A doctor friend said he would remove it but changed his mind when he saw size and location. It took mine 4 days to fall off… I was very worried since floss was stuck. Doesn’t look like it is going to scar too bad. I’m so happy to be free of it. Thanks for the info.

18. Sally

I’m overweight and have noticed my neck is getting a bumpy appearance. I am sure I will develop a ton of skin tags on my neck due to friction and I want to prevent that. There is nothing to tie off right now and there are so many bumps that I can’t use the freezing type of skin tag remover or else I would need to freeze my whole neck, including the area without bumps. Is there any creams I could try? Dry brushing? Exfoliating? Anything that I can use on my whole neck area? Any advice would be most appreciated.

• Josie
      New Zealand

Apple Cider vinegar wash morning and evening, or even put a face cloth in an apple cider vinegar and warm water solution and cover your neck with it for a few minutes a day. It will help :)