Q. My 11-year-old dog suffers from severe hip dysplasia and arthritis. I read in your column that gin-soaked raisins relieve arthritis pain in people, so I decided to try it on my dog. I am giving him 6 raisins a day. Within two days he was able to walk and run without whining.
A. We are sorry to tell you that raisins are toxic for dogs, so you’ll have to stop this remedy right away. Raisins and grapes can lead to kidney failure in susceptible breeds (Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Sept-Oct 2005). The mechanism is still unclear, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Join Over 55,000 Subscribers at The People's Pharmacy

Each week we send two free email newsletters with breaking health news, prescription drug information, home remedies and a preview of our award-winning radio show. Join our mailing list and get the information you need to make confident choices about your health.

What Do You Think?

Share your thoughts with others, but be mindful of protecting your own and others' privacy. Not all comments will be posted. Advice from web visitors is not a substitute for medical attention. Do not stop any medicine without checking with the prescriber. In posting a comment, you agree to our commenting policy and website terms and conditions.