There are so many uses for vinegar it boggles the mind. An otolaryngologist (ear, nose, and throat specialist) recommended rinsing the ear with the following solution: one part vinegar to five parts tepid water. He suggested putting drops in the ear three times a day. Toenail fungus can be unsightly. Try soaking the infected nails for at least fifteen to thirty minutes daily. The recipe: one part vinegar to two parts warm water. Allow six weeks to see a cure. It worked for Joe!

1. Anonymous

I had the same issue what helped my scalp was the banana olive oil scalp treatment. Take one full banana and 1 table spoon of olive oil. Mix in a blender until the consistency is smooth. Take a hair dying brush and apply the mixture to your scalp. Wrap saran wrap over your hair to prevent from dripping and leave on for 30-40 min while soaking your feet knee deep in the warmest water you can tolerate without burning your skin.
    The heat your body will release when soaking in your feet will open the pores in your scalp to help absorb all the vitamins from the banana mixture. I do this 1-2 times a month and I have not had a flake since. I also use a tea tree shampoo to maintain my scalp.

• Larry
      Oregon

Check your diet for the cause of the fungus — no matter where it is on your body…

Fungus is a symptom of of the real problem. Vinegar will often kill what is on the skin and under the nails, but vinegar will not cure the real problem. Especially if you have a yeasty gut.

This may make sense to those of you have had temporary success with both home-remedies and pharmaceuticals.

Recommendation: Avoid pharmaceuticals if at all possible!

I’d also suggest you check with a Naturopathic Doctor; in partiular, a diet-specialist.

I would also offer that Medical Doctors are not in the business of “curing”. Neither is Big Pharma. They are all in the business of “treating”. They make their money treating. If they cured us of our ailments they would be out of business. They are not going to do that.

Larry

2. k

For yeast infections of the vaginal area, you should NOT use 100% vinegar. Always buy a quality apple cider vinegar (I prefer bragg, it should be cloudy at the bottom, that’s the good stuff), fill a shallow bath with water that has been boiled and cooled to tepid (tap water is not as safe as it seems and chlorine is an enemy to PH balance). This can also be done sitz style in a smaller tub. For a standard tub, fill 4 inches of water mix with 1/4 cup of vinegar.
    Sit in the tub until its cool, lightly splashing, encouraging the mixture to circulate the affected area. The idea is to create an environment with the same PH as your body, so it cannot be full strength. Do not wash this off with soap, in fact only wash with this solution until it clears up. Yeast infections are just as often caused by over-washing, as they are by a lack of cleanliness. Keep the area dry, no pantyhose ever (blehk). My family is prone to yeast infections and this has prevented me from EVER getting a full blown problem. Always start this treatment AS SOON AS you feel the tingle, DO NOT WAIT. A few drops of Tea tree oil and Lavender oil mixed with Castor Oil as a base (use sustainable and safe) can be used externally in between bouts to prevent problems and keep things fresh. (Also a great aftershave).
    Currently I am testing 100% acv from braggs for aspergillosis in my sinuses, a post Lyme problem. I had a fungal ball removed from my ear two weeks ago. The doctor recommended liquid lamisil which the pharmacist advised “is no longer sold as it is not shelf stable” the 70 yr old ENT couldn’t remember where he got his batch, he used in my ear. Scary.
    I was put on too many antibiotics as a child and now have all sorts of issues. Pills are not my friend, although doxy saved my life. My experience with countless useless physicians has led me to believe, unless it is acute, try to work it out yourself. It’s unfortunate but many Drs like to write away their problems on RX pads and rarely care about their patients actual well-being. It’s a business. Be your best nurse, or ask a nurse, they usually know more than the MDs.

3. Alicia

Hello,
    Great info here. With regards to the ear remedy; can you use witch hazel instead of alcohol to the equal part of vinegar? Thanks.

4. ginger

Help! I have artificial fingernails—and yes,I guess I’m terribly vain—but please! I have developed a small fungal infection under one of them and really don’t want to have them all removed. I’m in a professional position that requires I maintain a certain “appearance.” I’ve employed so many of the amazing uses for vinegar. Will vinegar help with this? I’ve tried liquid over-the-counter stuff, to no avail. I want to try. Please let me know if anyone has achieved any success with the vinegar method — and how much to use. Thanks in advance.

5. Mare

What have you all heard about 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 Listerine for Onycholysis? Do you have to add the baking soda to make it work? I’ve suffered with this on my hands since I had gel nails on and it’s been over 2 years now. I’ve been to 4 different doctors and besides giving me dangerous and expensive Rx’s, I’ve gotten no relief from them.

6. Becky

did you have to keep up the work every day since then, or when it went away did you stop soaking your feet?

7. hello

I came to this site to read about anti fungal ear treatments. Will try the vinegar! Dr.’s keep giving me steroids, but I think if it’s fungal the steroids make it worse. My ears are red, itchy and leaking fluid..yuck!
    Also – I read on a blog that URINE will clear up feet fungus. It’s not my website, but the woman swears by it!
    The other thing I love is oregano oil. I used it on my toe nails when they turned yellow after…maybe too much time with nail polish on? Also works for foot warts.

8. Evie

Are you doing better ? I hope so

• Melanie
      Ocean View

Vicks Vapo Rub works wonders on toe nail fungus ! put it on at night before bed making sure to rub the nails thoroughly, put it under the nail as well, put on a pair of socks and in the morning you will notice results, after 2 weeks the nails if not real bad should be completely healed.

9. psy kick

Psoriasis is not a virus.
    Perhaps what you had was a fungus. That would explain your results after your remedy.

10. Evie

It would help I am sure, you must be patient (pardon the pun). Try to remember we are all so used to taking pills or using meds, creams etc. that we don’t use simple things consistent enough or long enough. It will help the itch I am certain. It may sting at first depending on how much you have been scratching. Use a clean white cloth each day and pat it on. I would use the apple cider vinegar but, the white would help until you get the ac vinegar Good luck, friend in Ut.

11. P Bow

I have rash on both arms from elbow to arm pits. 5 months after radiation for breast cancer. Have used cortizone and recently been diagnosed as fungal. Will vinegar work for me, itching like crazy!

12. JC

Foot fungus (tinea)can get into the nail and start fungus there too.
    I have got an infected fourth toe that was misdiagnosed for ten years before I got REALLY angry and convinced a doctor to do a biopsy. By this stage it had started to spread to other nails.
    I’ve tried everything mentioned above and more – the lamisil tablets cleared up the foot variety well – but not the nails… helped somewhat but not cured.
    My current doctor advised straight vinegar and loceryl, although I’ve tried loceryl before on its own and it didn’t work am giving another go, along with keeping nail as cut down as possible without actually cutting my toe off.
    Can anyone tell me, if the fungus appears to have grown right down past the cuticle, is that it – you’re stuffed?

13. Rick

I’m trying it too for the same purpose. I am not diluting it though. I tried heinz distilled white vinegar. Honestly, It kills the itch completely. Just pour it on a cotton ball. Nothing special, its vinegar not medicine so apply to cotton ball liberally. Allow to air dry or use cool air from a fan or hair dryer to speed things up. I also immediately Applied baby powder right after. Talc, to be precise. This is to absorb moisture that may appear while asleep. This friggin jock itch has been interfering with sleep for weeks, so I’m exhausted. Lol.
    Goodnight and goodbye itch!

14. adams

Hey I have jock itch. That is in between my thighs and scrotum. Both sides are red and kinda sore and itches like crazy. From my research online it is a fungal infection. If I use the vinegar and Epson salt stuff over there by washing that area for like 10 mins daily will that work? Or does any one have a solution for me plz? It started just a month ago.

15. miark alpern

Had a peanut shell jammed under my thumb nail by accident that gave me a very bad fungus after a few months. long story short doctors know nothing about treating fungal infected nails except to give you very powerful drugs that give you lots of bad side effects I did three courses of Terbinafine (the REAL name for Lamisil) and it only cleared up temporarily.
    Tried everything under the Sun nothing worked. vinegar has saved the day for me. you have to be religious about doing it every single day. do not do it after a shower when the fungus has already been fed its water that it thrives on. use a 50 50 solution of vinegar and water before you wash your feet or hands. I even went so far as to soak my thumb and then sand the nail completely off with wet dry sandpaper. if you are very careful and work very slowly it does not hurt very much at all. you only have to do it one time to get rid of the nail and then soak it everyday.
    things are so good now I may skip 4 or 5 days in a row but the vinegar has gave the fungus a very bad way to go. vinegar works just be smart about it. I have also found that eating a healthy diet with no flour or gluten and no processed sugar helps greatly. I use Braggs vinegar and sometimes I make it with only 20 percent water. the drugs were very very very bad for my body. the vinegar is just wonderful what a life saver.
    you can even put a tablespoon of vinegar in 2 cups of water and sip it. although without some type of artificial sweetener it is very hard for me to drink. I repeat vinegar will work just keep doing it eat a good diet and it will work for you

16. Evie

Maybe you haven’t done it long enough , be patient , you are worth it ;-)

17. yen

Has it worked ? I unfortunately have done the same nothing has worked

18. JLL

My mom rinsed my hair with apple cider vinegar once a week when I was growing up. We had foster children and it prevents you from getting lice. I never got it growing up and my hair was waist length. I still do it to this day. You never know when you may come into contact with some hair bug. Plus it cleans out all residue. My hair is waist length, very healthy, and extremely thick! We also used a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and rubbing alcohol in our ears. A couple of drops in each ear after swimming and no ear infections. And we swam in creeks and ponds.

19. sm uk

Hi, wonderful website and contributions above, I have had so called doctor diagnosed finger tip eczema for over 6 months now, have been prescribed strong steroid creams (dermovate) which helped for short term but made skin really dry and flaky, then finger tip swollen up in bouts and cracking red and painful in several places, so much so that every household work or even this typing is painful.
    Have also used regular moisturiser creams with temporary help. Now the doc has sent nails for fungal infection tests after I prompted him. Really fed up with this condition, and yes have had skin rashes in other places too with itchy heels, ankles and groins, so I am pretty sure it is fungal infection. Have also tried daktacort, Zole-F etc which includes antifungal and some steroids. I am looking forward to trying apple cider vinegar soaks as that has really helped me with my GERD (reflux) no end within a month of using it. I hope it works.(keep my fingers crossed If I can)

20. jcs

How bad was your fungus? I’ve had mine since I was a teenager and am considering using the apple cider vinegar and warm water mixture alternating that with 3 tbs of baking soda and water mixture. Thoughts?

21. hs

Glad I found this website. For the past 5 years my 4th toe and now my little toe’s nails have become very thick to the point I had the nail salon to file the nail beds down some. They are so ugly and looks like the rest of my toes on that foot may be getting it. I also have athlete foot on just that foot which I think may have caused the fungus since I can’t seem to get rid of either. This has been going on for 5 years.
    I’m sitting here soaking my foot in the 50/50 white vinegar with 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide. I’ve tried soaking my foot in bleach water and that didn’t work and even made my fungus toes so sore. I will let you know if the white vingegar and hydrogen peroxide works….this is my first day

22. TS

I’m not sure if you’ve seen a doctor; I think you should at this point. I’m sorry your dose of vinegar and clotrimazole cream just isn’t working. It may be that you don’t have ringworm, however. It may be a different type of fungus that is resistant to those creams. I think clotrimazole cream is fairly worthless, I’ve been using it on an underarm, heat -rash type of fungus and after one month, it’s only about 50% better. I’m seeing a doctor next.
    If you haven’t seen a doctor or a nurse practitioner at this point, I hope you will. Life’s too short to be miserable with a rash or fungus. Good luck. Come back and tell us what worked!

23. Criz

Hello, I do have a sort of ringworm on my left leg which began to show up since 8 months ago. I did not treat it immediately so it went bigger to a size of an inch. So with my research, I started applying clotrimazole cream twice daily and took ketoconazole twice daily too for two weeks.. the itchiness has waned a bit and the redness was less but still I am not happy since it still looks unsightly and the size remains the same. The medications are expensive and seemed not very effective.
    At present, I only have clotrimazole cream 2x and A daily regimen of white vinegar which I have been doing for two days already (is white vinegar effective!?) No more oral medication. I just hope this will work! I really wanted this damn fungus to get off me.

24. Dave

Hi Tried using vinegar soaked my thumb for one hour a day for about one week which seams to have killed the fungus. Just waiting for nail to grow out now.
    Cheers Dave,

25. Tracey

I am puzzled that people would recommend using vinegar for an anti-fungal treatment around the vaginal area. I tried it, diluted, and it stung so badly I thought I would pass out. Maybe it was just me, but I am wary of using vinegar of this purpose. I’m glad it worked for the people with scalp and toe fungal infections, though… I sympathize with people who are driven mad from constant itching and pain…especially in an (ahem) embarrassing area. It’s not like you can share your painful story with co-workers!

26. KM

Tea tree oil is not great because the oil does not evaporate and keeps your skin moist, which is what fungus loves.