verruca-wart

There are so many wart remedies it is hard to know where to start or stop. Castor oil applications are highly recommended by our readers. But one of the few treatments that have actually been tested is taking Tagamet (cimetidine).

This research has been published in numerous dermatological journals. We consider this a “home remedy” because it is a novel use for this popular heartburn medicine.

One study found that more than 80 percent of treated patients had a significant response, though it did take six to eight weeks to see improvement.* The dose was 30 mg/kg/day. To calculate weight in kg, divide the weight in pounds by 2.2.

Other studies have not had such success. Flat warts seem to respond better than raised ones.

How Tagamet might work remains elusive, though one theory has it the drug alerts the immune system so the body attacks the virus that causes warts.

Although a number of case studies and open label trials have produced quite positive results in children, traditional randomized controlled trials in which patients’ parents do not know whether the child is receiving cimetidine or placebo have been unimpressive.

* Glass, A. T., and B. A. Solomon. “Cimetidine Therapy for Recalcitrant Warts in Adults.” Arch. Dermatol. 1996; 132:680-682.

Fit, K. E., and P. C. Williams, “Use of histamine2-antagonists for the treatment of verruca vulgaris.” Ann. Pharmacother. 2007 Jul; 41(7):1222-1226.

1. Lucy

I started taking Tagamet about a month ago for flat warts on my face. I’m taking 400 mg 3x a day. It seems to be helping. They look better, but now I’m worried about acid rebound and the damage this high dose could cause to my stomach… Anyone with any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. SP

Hello all, 2 months ago I started a Tagamet regimen for the treatment of Facial flat warts. I have been taking 1200 mgs/ day religiously… and like many others I had tried absolutely everything before trying Tagamet.
    At first I saw zero difference… I took progress pictures every 2 weeks and I was getting discouraged that there seemed to be no difference.
    Everything changed 2 weeks ago. I had started to notice that all of the warts were getting red, they became ridiculously inflamed and itchy- I looked like a teenage boy with cystic acne… I had no idea what was going on and needless to say I wasn’t a happy camper.
    But believe it or not, after a few days they all started drying out and *poof* like magic my flat warts were all gone. I have some residual scarring but nothing that I can’t handle after what I’ve been through.
    Like many others, I will continue to stay at this dosage for a month and then I will begin to dose down. If you have flat warts and are looking for a solution, please try this. Be patient and don’t give up…

3. MT

Hi! I read all the comments about using Tagamet for flat warts and I decided to give it a try. I am a 40 year old women who has been battling flat warts for 8 years. I have a few on my left leg but i have THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS under my left breast and on my abdomen.
    I have literally tried everything!!!!! Salicylic Acid, duct tape, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, lemon, thuja, aldera… I have had them burned off, lasered off….you name it, I have tried it and NOTHING has worked until now. I started taking Tagamet 5 days ago. I am taking 800 mg twice a day. 800mg in the morning and 800mg at night. Well, after day one I notice a big difference and now 5 days later half, if not more of the warts are gone and the ones that have remained look like tiny little pimples. It IS a miracle!
    I can’t wait to see how long it will take for all of them to disappear. I am thinking that at this rate, maybe another 5 days I I will be wart free! I am soooooo happy and excited and relieved!!!! I couldn’t wear a bra all this time… imagine what a nuisance that is! I can’t believe it! I would highly recommend this to any one trying to get rid of flat warts. I am 125 lbs and I am taking 1600mg daily with no side effects whatsoever. I will continue to take this dosage for at least a month after they are all gone just to be sure!

4. Troy

I tried the tagamet, at first I thought it was working but when I ran out, it was 4 days till I got more and then progress never resumed. The tagamet also made me feel mildly depressed. The warts were again getting worse and spreading. I finally got rid of warts spreading all over my hands, by cutting them off with some end nipper pliers I modified to cut flush against my skin, dabbing it with pure chlorine bleach, and rubbing in castor oil. In five days the skin healed nearly to it normal prewart condition, rubbing in castor oil daily. By ten days I could not tell where the wart was. I am wart free now and sure thank GOD for castor oil. Its well worth it to cut them off first, takes months if you skip that step. Be sure you wipe thoroughly with bleach the effected area and the tool, so you don’t spread the virus around.

5. Jaclyn

Anyone with success using tagamet method:
    Did you notice any physical changes in the warts during treatment (Did they shrink? Change color?) or did you just notice they disappeared one day?
    Thanks

6. sm

Wow that is a really high dose.
    Any results or side effects so far?

7. sm

Do you remember what your dosage was?

8. MR

I have two common warts on the edge of my fingers around my finger nail and they have not gone away for FOUR YEARS OF PERSISTENT DERMATOLOGIST TREATMENT! I also have two plantars warts on my feet. I have used compound w in liquid, gel, and freeze off form. I have gotten them frozen off at the doctor 7 times and have been given injections and beetle juice. I have tried duct tape as well. Nothing has worked. I was just prescribed tagamet and am praying to god this stuff works.