This home remedy for arthritis pain has generated almost as much mail as the gin and raisins. One newspaper column reader related that her grandmother had been using it as long ago as 1945.
Purchase Certo in the canning section of your local grocery. It is a thickening agent used to make jams and jellies. Certo contains pectin, a natural ingredient found in the cell walls of plants.
There are two recipes: Take 2 teaspoons of Certo in 3 ounces of grape juice three times a day. As the pain disappears, this can be reduced to 1 teaspoon in juice twice a day.
An alternate approach is to use 1 tablespoon of Certo in 8 ounces of grape juice once daily.

1. Holly

Just wanted to know if you were still taking the certo and grape juice and if it was still working for you.

2. MJP

I’ve been using the Certo for 8 days and noticed a considerable reduction in pain in shoulders and hips and trigger points. Due to reflux I try to avoid acidic juices. I put one foil packet of Certo into a 64 oz jug and shake and refrigerate. Every morning and night I drink 8 oz and put in 1 packet of “True Orange” or “True Lemon” (found in the baking aisle) to flavor the water. There is no sugar in the flavoring so I think anyone with diabetes can use it, but do check first.

3. JR

I use powdered pectin daily with water or in Citrucel, never juice. It works like a dream – no joint pain at all. My mother and grandmother were both very impacted with arthritis. My grandmother died from an infected knee replacement and my mother was in a coma for 3 months from sepsis from a knee replacement. Needless to say, when my knees began to hurt I was worried. I also take glucosamine and chondroitin, but the pectin seems to make more of a difference for me.

4. Linda

I have stiff joints and pain. I read your column of June 14,2911 in
    THE ROANOKE TIMES. I state a man purchased pure pectin from Pomona’s
    Universal, which I did. My question is how did he get the pectin to mix??
    It came with calcium did he use that as well? This is to be mixed in water
    and added to the fruit before making jam. They said that the pectin would
    not work without the calcium. Now do I use that as well for the pain???
    I used the pectin only 2xs with cherry juice, and the stuff really works!!!!
    But the lumps are not very pleasant.
    So any help you can give me regarding the mixing and the calcium will be
    VERY greatly appreciated.
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: GETTING IT DISSOLVED IS A CHALLENGE. HERE ARE SOME INSTRUCTIONS:

5. ejl

Could you tell me if sure jell works as good as certo with the grape juice?

6. Dickie in Raleigh

I heard about the grape juice on your radio show driving to the grocery early one Saturday morning and thought I would add it to my shopping list and give it a try. I have never done anything like this before. I think I heard about half of the story on the radio as I bought powdered pectin and I also had in my head you said 1/4 Tablespoon in 1-cup of grape juice every morning. I have been taking this for two weeks now and all of my knee pain is gone!
    Strange… I also have a little arthritis pain in my right hand fingers but it has done nothing for that. But, I sure do appreciate the pain-free knees! No wonder some have been up all night with diarrhea taking a whole packet of Certo… cut back and see what happens. It also worked within hours for me.. Walking again!!
    dickie

7. NB

Can I mix one envelope of liquid Certo with 64 oz. grape juice for joint pain? That’s all I could find at the store.

8. Carol

Hi tried just last evening the oral pectin 1 tablespoon mixed with 4 oz grape juice, and up all night with diarrhea, any suggestions ?? please reply
    PEOPLE’S PHARMACY RESPONSE: WE SUGGEST YOU REDUCE THE DOSE OR STOP ALTOGETHER. SOME PEOPLE ARE MORE SENSITIVE THAN OTHERS.

9. bill

I have been suffering from sciatica. The Dr. says my xray shows much spinal arthritis and this appears to be the primary factor in my sciatica. Is there evidence that grape/pectin can benefit this?

10. jdc

When I moved to Fl 7 yrs ago I was on anti-inflammatory medication. My Mother-in law told me about Certo and grape juice. I started drinking this twice a day and after two weeks I was pain free. I then went to once a day and I have not had any arthritis pain in 7 yrs. I don’t drink it daily now but when I feel pain returning I start drinking it again and in just a couple of days the pain is gone. This natural remedy is so much better than putting drugs in your body.