Overview

Timoptic eye drops are very effective at lowering pressure within the eye
and have helped provide an important advance in the treatment of some types of
glaucoma.

The active ingredient, timolol, is known as a beta blocker.

Timoptic is normally prescribed alone or with other glaucoma medications
to reduce the pressure within the eye.

Side Effects and Interactions

Timoptic can cause eye irritation and some
visual disturbances.

It may also provoke headache, dizziness, slow heart
rate, heart rhythm disturbances, chest pain, drowsiness, muscle weakness, sexual
difficulties, nausea, diarrhea, muscle weakness, rash, hair loss and trouble
breathing.

Although Timoptic is less likely to affect the nervous system
than oral beta blockers, be alert for the beta blocker blahs. Symptoms of
psychological depression, fatigue, confusion, and memory loss may come on slowly
and insidiously. Notify your physician promptly of any adverse reactions,
especially breathing difficulties, fluid retention in the legs or a night cough.

Timoptic may interact with surgical anesthetics and increase the risk of
heart problems in surgery. Check with the doctor ahead of time to see if you
should phase off these eye drops gradually before you enter the operating room.

This drug may also interact with a number of other compounds, including
several that are used to treat blood pressure or heart problems.

MAO
inhibitors for depression (Nardil, Parnate) should not be taken with oral
timolol and may pose problems with Timoptic. Dilantin and digoxin may also cause
trouble.

Oral contraceptives, estrogen replacement therapy and medicines
for arthritis, asthma, migraine headaches, diabetes, and thyroid problems have
potential interactions with these eye drops.

Check with your doctor and
pharmacist to make sure Timoptic is safe in combination with any other drugs you
may take.

Special Precautions

Some people should avoid beta blockers like Timoptic or take them only with great caution.

Asthmatics and patients with other respiratory problems are especially vulnerable, as these drugs can make breathing worse.

People with heart failure should also alert the ophthalmologist, as beta blockers may lead to cardiac complications.

These eye drops can also affect blood lipid levels in a negative manner. A consultation between the eye doctor and the one treating lung or heart problems may be in order.

Taking the Medicine

Timoptic is less likely than oral timolol (Blocadren) to affect the entire body. Nevertheless,
some people absorb this medicine through the eye and into the body as a whole.

Absorption
can be reduced somewhat with proper application. It helps to pull the lower eyelid away from the
eye to make a pouch, look upward, and put the drop in the pouch without touching the dropper to the eye.

As soon as the drops are in, the eyelid should be closed gently for 1 to 2 minutes and pressure applied with a finger to the inside corner of the eye.

Do not stop using Timoptic on your own. Your physician will give you special instructions if you need to discontinue these eye drops or change to another one.

1. BF

Used Timoptic for over 15 years with no problem. Pressure never dropped below 19/20 and when it became 23/24 I had the laser surgery. The pressure would go down for several years then back up again. Just had the laser for the 3rd time. The company that the drops came from was FALCON. Never had a problem with side effects. My druggist and several others I have contacted, no longer carry FALCON.
    The drops made by two other companies make my eyes, and skin around the eyes, itch like crazy. I have been on Lumigan for 6 weeks, and now the skin under my eyes is starting to itch again. Don’t know what the problem is, but will ask my doctor if they make an eye drop for glaucoma for sensitive eyes/skin.

2. d a

Hi,
    the hair growth side effect is not due to timolol but to bimatoprost (prostaglandin-f2-alpha analog) the active ingredient in lumigan. It has been proven to be a hair growth activator.

3. Mary B. H.

Optholmologist prescribes timolol, internal medicine doctor prescribes me
    Metropolol Succer. Both are Beta Blockers and I am suffering intense fatigue
    and depression. What can I do besides talk to the physicians which I have already done
    Without any success or changes. I’m not supposed to stop the medications myself.
    Any suggestions?

4. renante

I been using timolol for 8 mos now. After a month of using, I got these floaters and weiss ring. My ophthalmologist diagnosed me with an open angle glaucoma. Any idea why I got these floaters and weiss ring? My ophthalmologist told me that its normal, but I thought it’s not. please help. thank you.

5. BH

I started Timolol about 5 months ago, with little to no effect on my eye pressure. What it DID do, however, was dramatically increase my triglycerides and my bad cholesterol while lowering the good cholesterol. Make sure to have your blood lipids tested on timolol- very common side effect that goes unnoticed, says my cardiologist.

6. T.M.

After dropping in Timolol for just one month, the pressure in my left eye went from 28 to 15, with no side effects.

7. Hazel

I have been taking Timolol Eye Drops for elevated eye pressure for 10 years.
    During the last year I have experienced a general hair loss all over my body and most noticeably to me on my head. I also have shown signs of low thyroid and have now been put on Thyroxin at a low dose which has not helped much. I believe that Timolol has caused this and would like to know if others have suffered similar problems.

8. lsy

I am requesting information on the sleep study that was done on Timolol drops. I have been taking these drops for 5 or 6 years and they have been working well but I was informed that the sleep study found that it is not effective after 10 p.m.? Please give me further information on this?? Thank you, LSY )my pressure is 12 ct.)

9. R.S.F.

I started Timolol drops in the gel form this past week after trying and having reactions to three other eye drops to control pressure. I was off all drops for over a year since I am only a “glaucoma suspect”. After using Timolol for three days I became very queasy about five hours after instilling one drop in each eye, as prescribed.
    I stopped the drops for another three days and the feeling slowly went away. Since I am not certain what caused the queasiness, today, with trepidation, I am trying them again while staying in close contact with my ophthalmologist, since I am already on an oral beta blocker for BP. Anyone out there experience queasiness or nausea as a side effect of Timolol?

10. S.A.B.

I used Timolol with great results for over 20 years to control Glaucoma. About a year ago my ophthalmologist changed me to Lumigan and that works fine too. But I’ve had a side effect happening for the last few months that I’m enjoying. First, I’ve grown back some eyelashes and also now have hair on my legs and armpits and other private areas again. Also my scalp hair is thickening up. I didn’t realize the hair thinning and loss were a side effect of Timolol and just thought it was a natural part of aging. What a nice surprise. Dr. says he thinks, except for the eyelashes, it’s the effect of stopping the Timolol, not starting Lumigan.
    S.A.B.