Overview

Paxil, like the earlier antidepressant Prozac, apparently works by enhancing the action of a brain chemical called serotonin. This medication is prescribed to treat major depression, and has been shown to be effective for up to one year. Like Prozac, Paxil is less likely to cause typical side effects associated with older medications.

Tricyclic antidepressants like Elavil, Tofranil, Sinequan and Pamelor often produce dry mouth, dizziness, weight gain, and a sluggish or lethargic feeling. Paxil may not have these effects, and may have a slight stimulant action.

Side Effects and Interactions

Side effects associated with Paxil include exhaustion, sweating, nausea, decreased appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, dizziness, insomnia, tremor, problems with ejaculation and anxiety. Less common adverse reactions include headache, palpitations, constipation, diarrhea, blurred vision and decreased libido. A wide range of other reactions have been reported but appear to be uncommon. Report any symptoms to your physician promptly.

Paxil can interact with a number of other medications. Anyone taking other antidepressants, especially drugs such as Nardil, Marplan or Parnate should stop such a medicine at least two weeks before starting on Paxil. If Paxil is taken first, two weeks should elapse before starting on one of these other medicines. If the amino acid tryptophan ever becomes available in the U.S. again, it should not be taken with Paxil, as it may increase the potential for adverse reactions.

Tricyclic antidepressants like Elavil, Pamelor or Tofranil could in theory have stronger actions and more pronounced toxicity when they are combined with Paxil. This may also occur with certain medications prescribed to regulate heart rhythm. Other compounds that could cause complications in combination with Paxil include Coumadin and possibly Lanoxin.

Tagamet may increase Paxil levels, while phenobarbital or Dilantin can lower them. Interactions between the herb St. John’s wort and Paxil are possible. Switching between antidepressants and herbal treatment calls for medical guidance (physicians can find a suggested protocol for gradual substitution of St. John’s wort in Hyla Cass’s book, St. John’s Wort: Nature’s Blues Buster).

Check with your pharmacist and physician before taking any other medicines or herbs in combination with Paxil.

Special Precautions

Some people may need very close monitoring if the doctor prescribes Paxil. For people who have had an episode of mania, there is a risk that manic symptoms could be triggered by Paxil.

Patients who have had seizures also need to followed carefully, since Paxil, like most other antidepressants, may provoke seizures in susceptible individuals. Because Paxil may cause drowsiness or dizziness, people taking this medicine should not drive or use dangerous machines unless an objective evaluation shows they are not impaired.

Older people and those with kidney disease or liver problems may need to start on a reduced dose, as they may eliminate Paxil less efficiently than otherwise healthy people.

Anyone with a history of suicide attempts must also be extremely vigilant. There have been reports that some people may develop a preoccupation with suicide or violence while taking Prozac. It is still not certain whether this is caused by the underlying mental condition or is in some way related to the drug. If Prozac were responsible for any of these incidents, there might also be a risk with Paxil. Family members must help monitor people on Paxil for suicidal thoughts or self-destructive behaviors. The doctor must be notified immediately in such cases.

Taking the Medicine

According to the manufacturer, Paxil should be taken once a day, preferably in the morning. It may be taken either with or without food.

1. Tania
    United kingdom

Omg I’m so glad that others are feeling the same. I’ve been on this medication for over 10 yrs. in the u.k its called seroxat, it’s worked perfectly fine for me and completely stopped my horrific panic attacks. I’ve used other generic versions and they’ve been fine, then my pharmacist switched to the brand mylan, within a few days I was having withdrawals and panic attacks. I spoke to my pharmacist and tried to explain I’m not just being difficult, I’ve had other brands and they were fine. It was just this one particular brand, he looked at me like I was insane and completely disregarded my concerns. Anyway, I’ve now gone back to the patented original brand and I’m fine. The concerning thing is, that others may not realise and go down hill very rapidly. It’s really quite a scary thought!!!

2. chris
    ontario

It is true the generic form of paxil is not the same as the brand name. I have been on paxil (so I thought… but it was switched to generic by pharmacy recently) for 11 years and all of a sudden, down I went. Thought it was that poop out effect… but then I went to my doctor/psychiatrist thinking I would have to switch… he then told me, that by law, the generic brands are allowed to be (READ THIS CAREFULLY….) off by 15% more or less of the patented formula. THAT IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF TOO LITTLE ACTIVE INGREDIENTS, if you happen to get a batch that has less ingredients of the formula.

I asked why they would sell me the generic brand if the actual paxil is more expensive… I am happy to pay the fee, for relief. Mental health issues are very debilitating, how can our governments treat us so pathetically? Needless to say, I got a prescrip for Paxil (NO SUBSTITUTES) and same dose level, and voila, one week, back in action like before. I think the generics start our giving us a 15% more so that we will feel the drugs work as well..but then they lower it for cost effectiveness.. and we pay big time… no wonder people on these generics commit suicide..they feel they are hopeless when a medication they have been taking suddenly stops working.

• Anon
      Ontario

I was on paxil some 15 years ago, for 2 years. It completely removed my depression and anxiety. About 3 years ago my depression came back. I was prescribed apo-paroxetene, I’m now on 60mg. My doctor kept raising the dosage because my depression persisted. I’m on the max. dosage, and my anxiety appears to be in check, the black eyed dog is still with me.
      I asked my pharmacist to get me paxil, I am willing to pay out of pocket, I’m tired of telling my doctor that my depression is no better and getting a blank stare in return. I am wondering if I should drop down from 60 to 40, 15 years ago I was fine on 20. Feedback would be appreciated.
      Thanks.

3. LG

I have been taking Paxil CR since it was initially offered by GSK. Before that I was on regular Paxil, name brand. Recently, GSK discontinued manufacture of name brand Paxil CR. My Walgreen’s pharmacy uses Mylan. I am fully 60 days into the switch and I might as well take an M&M.
    This Mylan generic is not doing anything. I have had to take extra meds to combat the weepiness, anxiety, and stronger depression I feel with this generic. After reading all the entries, I can be sure that the ones made in China and India are ineffective but I’m not sure if Apotek or Teva will be any better.
    There are not many companies making the 37.5 CR version of this med. I am quite disgusted and concerned that GSK can just stop mfg. with no recourse for those of us who cannot use the generics. I will need to do some more research to see which companies mfg. a generic and I guess I will need to ask my pharmacy to try all of them in 7-day doses to see which one will work.

• Disappointed generic
      USA

Like all of whom have posted to this site, I’ve been on Paxil for 18 years. My Dr prescribed for PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression.

I can count on both hands how many times the pharmacies have changed their generic brand due to manufacturing issues.

The brand has worked for me the last 10 years with little side effects (of course lucid dreams). The beginning of 2014, the insurance company decided what was in their best interest economically; however it wasn’t in mine. My copayment was $90 for a 90 day supply. Since the brand name is now a Tier 3 which is not covered it will cost $394.00 a month if I wish to use the brand going forward.

So, I bit the bullet and tried the generic which was manufactured by Aurobindo. It seemed to have worked great. Now CVS has changed who they get their supply from which is Mylan. I am going to be blunt and honest: this pill sucks!! Pardon my language. I’m having palpitations, my blood pressure is causing me to have orthostatic issues, monthly changes to my cycle, weight gain of 14 pounds in 2 months. I’ve seen a cardiologist and a gynecologist. Both say there are not any problems. The one and only thing that remains constant is the generic pill change to Mylan.

So when the medical community states that is impossible, they need stand to be corrected.

Hopefully, CVS will not give me an issue to order from the other manufacturing company that worked so well for me.

Wishing the best to all on this forum.

4. Nancy

I have been taking paroxetine for years. Blue pill, by Mylan. My pharmacist switched without informing me. Yes, I noticed the new pill was white. Nausea, dizziness, trouble focusing. Ahhh, this paroxetine is from Apotex USA. Just called my Dr. to have her order the Mylan brand. Every generic is different from each other. Yuck.

5. Marcus

My experience with Paxil:
    I started Paxil when I was 15. It was name brand, and it helped some with panic attacks.
    Around 2005/6, the brand name Paxil had a class-2 recall because it was superpotent. I had been feeling horrible and couldn’t figure out why until I found this out on the FDA web-site.
    So I switched to Apotex and did fine on that until it was discontinued.
    I was then switched to Greenstone. I can’t remember what the effect of switching was. I was on that for several years and did fine though.
    Then a month and a half ago I was told that Greenstone had discontinued making paroxetine.
    I was scared of changing brands, so I researched and found that Aurobindo had been making paroxetine for Greenstone. So I thought, why not just take Aurobindo’s? The pills look identical and have the same inactive ingredients.
    I switched and was not expecting any problems. I thought I had found a perfect match. That weekend that I switched I slept in the day (naps), which I never do. I would wake up from the naps with a huge amount of adrenaline.
    Then came Monday. I woke up so irritable. I was agitated and couldn’t take it. It felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I developed diarrhea. Over the last month and a half, I have been so sick. I have not been sleeping (about 2 hours a night), I am constantly agitated, I can’t stand being in my skin. I have had suicidal thoughts. I have been to the ER. I’ve been trying to track down every possible thing that could be wrong with me. I have had panic attacks my whole life, but I haven’t had one this whole time. I’ve had something much worse: constant torturous feelings of agitation and shaking. I have so, so much energy. It’s horrible.
    I eventually started thinking back to the medicine change and did research. I called Greenstone to ask why they had discontinued their product, and they refused to tell me. They said they cannot comment on medications they no longer make. I called Aurobindo and found out that I wasn’t even actually taking an Aurobindo medication. It’s very confusing.
    Aurobindo had made paroxetine for the US market in India. For some reason, they stopped selling it in the US a couple of years ago. The paroxetine they made in India was also the one Greenstone was selling. The one I am getting now is from a subsidiary of theirs made in the US called Aurolife.
    My suspicion is that the one I am on now is either normal dosage or superpotent and that perhaps the Aurobindo/Greenstone I was on from India before had very little medication in it, which I got used to. I was very affected by the superpotent Paxil when I was on that, and I’ve also become anxious when I’ve tried increasing my dose of Paxil before. Based on what others have said here, it sounds like Aurobindo and Greenstone were almost “placebo” like.
    Strangely, I think I was responding well to that placebo like effect.
    I am so sick right now. I have lost 12 lbs. I have had diarrhea every day for a month and a half. I am barely sleeping. I am agitated. I get these feelings like I just can’t take it anymore. I am mentally exhausted from never being able to rest. On the other hand I am scared to stop taking the medicine without my doctor’s approval, and I haven’t been able to get in to see her until this coming week. My pharmacy offered to switch me to Zydus, but I keep wondering if the problem is that the medicine I was on BEFORE was off spec, and it’s just that my body doesn’t respond well to being on a normal dose.
    Of course, there is no way to know! This is the problem with our pharmaceutical system! They jerk us around like crazy. I don’t want $4 generics. I want a product from a company that is going to exist in 5 years from now, rather than these sneaky companies that are constantly buying each other out and discontinuing drugs and doing weird tricks.
    There is no other area of life that is like this. When I buy yogurt from Chobani, it’s Chobani yogurt. I can call them and they will answer questions!
    We need to make really strict regulations on drugs. We should demand better. I think of all the people who demand local, organic produce, but look at our drugs. We buy junk made in India and China by companies so unethical that even our impotent FDA will occasionally ban their imports.

6. Jason

Hey all, recently got switched from mylan to the teva brand, and noticed a huge diff. Got switched back to mylan and it’s been about 10 days since being back on my normal generic with slight improvements. I thought with in a few days I’d be back to my “normal” self an that hasn’t happened yet. One day at a time I guess but don’t know how much longer I can do this

7. Bill

I have been on Paxil/Paroxetine 20mg for 17 years and it has helped me considerably in dealing with anxiety and depression. For the last several years I have been given generic Paraxetine manufactured by Zydus. There were no differences in the way I felt when making this changeover from that made by GlaxoSmithKline. Last week Walgreens gave me Paraxetine manufactured by Greenstone. Walgreen’s pharmacist ensured me the dosage and purity of the Greenstone product was identical to that of Zydus. For the last few days I have been experiencing light headedness, “electrical zaps,” and nausea that is very similar to what I experienced when trying to wean myself completely off Paxil (the side effects from attempting to do this were worse than the problems for which I was prescribed Paxil in the first place).
    I have read here and elsewhere that while some generic forms of Paroxetine may have the identical active ingredients of Paxil the “releasing agents” and “fillers” may affect the way generics work and is the biggest difference between Paroxetine manufacturers. I am certain this must be the case with Greenstone Paroxetine and my current side effect experiences; it feels as if I am not getting the full dosage of the active ingredient since switching to the Greenstone generic. My Walgreens pharmacist says there is absolutely no difference in Paroxetine from Zydus versus that from Greenstone. I strongly disagree.
    What is the opinion of others who have switched between one generic Paroxetine and another, specifically with Greenstone? I think I need to insist that Walgreens switch me back to the Zydus manufacturer.

8. TD

I’ve been on Paxil (Paroxetine) for 16-17 years straight for depression, anxiety/panic disorder. When I first started it, I was given name brand and it work wonders for me. I used name brand until they switched to a generic brand but at that time I didn’t have any problems from it. It worked fine for many years until the year 2012/13.. I started getting my prescriptions at Walmart and that is when the hell started.. It seemed like it just stopped working.. I started having terrible anxiety/panic attacks, suicidal thoughts, and just sat on the couch and couldn’t even function. I didn’t go anywhere for months unless it was a doctor’s appt. I had fears of having attacks in the car or in public places (This is why I didn’t go anywhere)…. Felt like I was going crazy! I actually looked into checking myself into the hospital but couldn’t bring myself to do it and they wouldn’t take anyone unless you felt like killing yourself which I didn’t want to do, not that I didn’t think about it at times but I wouldn’t of done it.
    I did have to go into the hospital ER a couple of times due to the panic/anxiety and the doctors always thought I was a junky or something, They would draw blood and check me for every drug under the sun. Crazy! It was all negative.. I felt like a freak to say the least!
    The hospital wouldn’t even give me any Xanax, I asked the doctor if he could at least give me a couple Xanax pills just until I could get into my doctor and he wouldn’t do it… He said I needed to get it from my general doc. CRAZY!
    So, as soon as I was released from the hospital, I called my general doc on call and told her what happened and that they wouldn’t give me any Xanax and that I had to get it from her and she thought that was crazy as well… She said “That’s what they are there for” “Is to help”… Well anyway, She ended up calling some in for me…
    I hated taking the Xanax because I was always scared of getting addicted to it, So I only took it when absolutely necessary. I went through Xanax, Ativan and finally stayed with Klonopin (The best Benzo in my opinion).
    I’m on 40mg of Paroxetine and was getting my prescription filled at Walmart (Never get it from Walmart)… I can’t remember what the manufacturer is (it was something called Labs)… but I started researching online about Paroxetine and came across a website where people were having a bunch of issues with different generic manufacturers and complaining that their pills stopped working so I wondered to myself if that was the problem so I got my next prescription at Walgreens and they carried a different manufacturer and within days of taking the new script I felt so much better, I couldn’t believe it… All those problems I was having was do to taking the med from Walmart. Needless to say, I will not ever go to Walmart to get my prescriptions again. That was a living hell!
    12/24/13… I was feeling fine when I was taking 2 20MG tablets by Zydus and now since I have medicaid they won’t pay for me to take 2 20mg tablets and want me to take just the 40mg tablet by Zydus… I’ve been taking that for a week now and all of a sudden I feel full of anxiety/panic and crying… I know it’s something to do with those pills… I don’t know why it would make a difference between the two but it does. It’s like I’m withdrawing… I’m going to try to cut my pill in half and take it that way. Maybe my body isn’t absorbing the bigger pill or something. I’m also thinking about maybe taking 20mg at night before I go to bed and then the other 20mg in the morning to see how that works. I’m also going to be talking to my doctor about looking into the liquid form of Paroxetine maybe that would work better. I don’t know. All I know is that I’m so sick of this BS with the Generic forms of Paxil. Something is not right with them. Something needs to be done!!

9. Jason

when the company switched your generics on you, how long before you felt back to “normal” when you got back on your original script ?
    thanks!

10. Jason

Hi, I’ve been taking Mylan-paroxetine for the last two years, recently my pharmacy changed it to Teva-paroxetine and I found the next day I was having bad stomach cramps, panic attacks, lose of appetite, no energy to do anything… switched back to the mylan brand…
    I was working at my friends shop every day of the week up until they switched me.. just want to go back to where I was… it took me long enough to get where I was.
    Anyone have a idea on how long it will take to get back to the way I was before the switch??
    Thanks !!

11. KW

After trying Prozac for about 6 months many years ago, I found that the way it metabolized actually increased my depressive symptoms periodically, which wasn’t helpful. Switched to Paxil, and found that I was functioning much better with no significant side effects. When the generic first became available, my mail-order pharmacy switched me to a generic without any advance notice or explanation.
    I didn’t feel the same with the generic, but my doctor encouraged me to give my body a chance to adjust to it. After about a month, I seemed to be back in a steady state. About 1 year ago, the color and size of the pills changed to a white, round pill, and they did not seem to be quite as effective.
    I figured I needed to work harder in therapy, deal with some issues I was avoiding, etc. My therapist began to feel that my being “stuck” seemed more biological than emotional, and suggested I see my doctor for a review of meds. Then I got a refill with the same white pill, but now coated.
    I spoke to a pharmacist at Medco who assured me there was no difference and it was the same manufacturer as before: Zydus. Again, it seemed less effective. I finally showed my doctor 3 different pills from 3 refills, all from Zydus, that were visibly different in appearance: coated, not coated, slightly different color, etc.
    She said that some generics can have different effects for different people and wrote me a prescription for name brand Paxil. My insurance, however, will not cover name brand Paxil at all, leaving me to pay $375 for 3 months rather than a $15 co-pay or the $60 co-pay they charge for other brand name meds.
    Their current contract is with Zydus, for which the insurance company actually pays less than my co-pay for the entire 3 months. (You get what you pay for…) I have now gotten a local CVS to order me the generic by Teva on a month-to-month basis, for which I pay $64/ month.
    It is far superior to how awful I felt on the Zydus-made pill, when eventually I had no energy at all, no appetite, no interest in doing anything, slept for hours every day, and generally felt useless, hopeless, and sad. I understand that how the drug metabolizes has a huge impact on how effective it is from my experience with Prozac.
    I will write to the FDA to comment on the ineffectiveness of the Zydus generic and really appreciate the information everyone has posted on their experiences with the various generic manufacturers. This issue definitely needs to get wider exposure as it affects so many people. If there is this much trouble with just one generic medication, how much is there with the thousands of others out there?

12. ST

Walgreens recently changed my Teva-generic Effexor XR 150mg (venlafaxine) to Aurobindo. I have been taking it for 5 days and am experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I am going to call Walgreens on Monday to notify them and will also submit the FDA reporting form. I think Aurobindo’s generics need to be banned from the country – who knows if it’s more than just not enough of the drug being inside the capsules? What if they’re putting other crap into their generics? The FDA needs to do a thorough investigation of this company’s products!

13. bj

I thought it was just me, I guess not. I began taking GSK Paxil not generic, for years I felt so good happy life changing a few yrs ago I started taking the generic manufactured by apotex from canada I’d been thinking lately that my med just didn’t work anymore b/c I feel like I did before I ever took paxil crappy. I’m sure the generic no matter what Dr’s, pharmacist & whoever, are wrong the med is NOT the same!! next refill I plan to request the real non-generic Paxil I have no Ins. But I will pay the price just to find out if I’m right or just nuts. Lol

14. j

I took the real paxil, after a few weeks I felt like a new person, I took it for a few years & then I thought it stopped working. After reading everyone’s comments now I know why it’s because it’s generic mine is manufactured by apotex inc toronto canada M9L 1T9. I want paxil name brand, I want to feel alive again!

15. Melody B. T.

I started taking paroxetine 10 mg 4 days ago. It is white and they said the manufacturer is Internal Labs. So far, I cannot rest well at night… exhausted and take POWER TO SLEEP that has GABA in it. Not sure I should be taking it but it puts me to sleep… however I do wake up now and again. Also, it makes me extremely tired and not as much energy at the gym. This is bothering me. Has anyone experienced weight gain? Someone said it is a side affect and I’m concerned. I was given this for anxiety and having a “short fuse”.
    Thanks!

16. Rodney

@Drew How did you find where the generic paxil you’re taking is manufactured at?

17. Drew

I had aurolife which is manufactured in united states, I was doing okay with that brand. However late last year they are exclusively aurobindo which is manufactured in India. The pills look the same but they are not. The aurobindo makes me anxious, nervous and can’t relax. I can’t afford the name brand, but I’m going to try mylan. I’ve heard good things about this company and they are manufactured in the USA.

18. Laura

I started taking paroxetine CR 37.5mg about 1.5 years ago. Works really well with some side effects. (Very lucid dreams, decreased sex drive which wears off eventually) I have been filling it through CVS (Mylan manufacturer) but I just lost medical insurance and switched to Rite Aid pharmacy because they give a discount. The Manufacturer is Apotex. I filled it 09/19/12 after being without the med for 7 days. 3 weeks into the new brand, I am worse than not having the medication at all. Increased depression, insomnia, anxiety. I feel AWFUL!!!
    I know it is the Manufacturer change because this happened to me in 2009 when I switched manufacturers of Wellbutrin to TEVA. It was terrible, I started suffering from numbness, poor circulation, and extreme anxiety. I missed an entire quarter of college. I didn’t suspect the manufacturer switch to be the culprit until I saw an undigested pill in my stool. Then I started researching and luckily found a website like this.
    It took me 3 months of hell and failing classes to figure this out with no help from my doctor. The FDA has since published reports about the Teva generic Wellbutrin brand not being therapeutically equivalent.
    If this had not happened to me previously, I would not know to look for similar experiences with Paroxetine generics. And thank you everyone for posting so I have confirmation that its my medication causing the issues. Doctors, pharmacists, and drug companies do NOT educate the public about this and it is SO important.
    Drug chemicals are fragile and the FDA needs tighter regulation about generic therapeutic equivalency.
    I hope that others suffering from these issues have a provider that can inform them about this or can find the answers on the internet quickly.
    Not all generic medications are created equal!

19. daniel

You can get generic paxil “Mylan” at CVS. I prefer name brand as many of you but have found that Mylan makes a pretty good one. God bless!!

20. lz

I, too, having been taking Paxil for at least 20 years, 30 mg. First started out with brand name and then generic. Recently, my mail in pharmacy switched to a different company, Aurobindo, and I had so many breakthrough issues of anxiety, night sweats, soreness of muscles.
    I called the pharmacy and was told that there should not be any difference and put in touch with their buyer. He informed me that they switched to this new company and would not be going back to the old one, Mylan, but to try and find someone else who would have them. Told my doctor and she gave me a prescription for “brand only” which definitely costs more. Am still trying to find some pharmacy that carries the Mylan brand.
    I thought it was all in my head or something else that was going wrong, and the only thing I could think of that was different was the new generic!
    It does make a difference.

21. mr. b

I have been taking Paxil brand name and generic (paroxetine) for the past 9 years with no ill effects. I do not notice a difference between brand name and generic. I plan on being on it for life.

22. Hashimi

Paroxetine is a medicine one will use for the whole life just like we need food to live on. Is there any permanent solution even if it prolongs for a year to several to give an end to depression????? I don’t think so if there is one. I have been using paroxetine from the last 1 year & feel normal only in case I am using it.

23. Sassy

Omgsh we are all on the same page! I started generic Paxil from manufacturer apotex a little over a week ago and my thoughts have been increasingly worse. Negative, loss of interest, pessimism, you name it. Today I lost my appetite. I knew there was something wrong for sure. I realized it had to be the change in the pill form. The pharm swapped it out tonight and I’m going back on zydus tomorrow. Can’t wait to feel better again.

24. S.P.

I was using the TEVA brand of Paxil (30 mg.) from Rite-Aid for several years. I recently had my order refilled and I noticed the pills were white and were bigger. I noticed when I took them that I got dizzy and extremely fatigued later in the day. (I took them for several days).
    The new generic brand they were using was made by Apotex Corp. I had to call the Pharmacy back and they said they could order TEVA and have it for me by the next day. I have now had my doctor specify the TEVA brand for all future refills so that this doesn’t happen again.